Author Topic: Microsoft Azure/Bing perfect Voice Recognition in 1 minute?!  (Read 4243 times)

Snacko

Microsoft Azure/Bing perfect Voice Recognition in 1 minute?!
« on: December 02, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
I don't get it.  I've had VA since 2015 and never used it because it rarely recognized my voice correctly.  I decided to try it again the past two days since I downloaded a VoicePack for Elite Dangerous only to have the same annoying problem.  I did the voice training all over again, and did the 'More Training' after the first training.  I even trained a few words that I added to the dictionary.  But it all just pretty much sucks.

A few minutes ago, I found the Microsoft Azure/Bing Voice Recognition website and just clicked 'Start Recording'.  It recognized my voice perfectly the first time.  See my screenshot comparing the 100% recognition in Azure and the 100% recognition failure in VA.  I don't want to dump on VA. I want it to work!!  It's an awesome app.  But WTH is going on???  I spent all day trying to get VA to work, and only 2 minutes with Azure!

It's obviously not my hardware.  My mic or it's settings.  Why does my android phone and this Azure website work, and VA doesn't???

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Microsoft Azure/Bing perfect Voice Recognition in 1 minute?!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Could just be your local speech engine, which could be any number of a billion things.  VA uses your local, built-in speech engine by default.

You might want to try an alternate engine:  http://www.voiceattack.com/alternate

That seems to help folks in a lot of ways.

iceblast

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »
Yeah, install Microsoft Speech Platform 11 and change VA to use Microsoft Server Speech Recognition Language - TELE (en-US)

You don't have to train it, it just works. It hears practically everything I say on the first try.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:55:26 PM »
(And I always think of iceblast when I recommend it)

iceblast

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 11:42:23 PM »
 :D I tell everyone that all the time! :)

Snacko

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Thanks for the help.  :)

I did install the SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi and MSSpeech_SR_en-US_TELE.msi from that link before I posted yesterday.  And I tried to follow the instructions in the link at the bottom of that page.  It says to go to Region & Language and 'Add a Language'.  But I don't see anything new to add.  My computer already has English (United States) and I don't see another choice like that to add.

I'm in the United States, and since that comes with my version of Windows 10 (I am assuming),..  should I see another new choice since I installed the above??

EDIT:
I created a new Speech profile and retrained my speech.  VA started working better.  And I just looked in the settings again (after closing it while I trained my speech, and I now see the new 'MS Lightweight Speech Recognizer 11.0'(selected by default), and also 'MS Server Speech Recognition Language - TELE (en-US). 

Since the v11.0 was selected by default I am not sure if my new Speech profile and training fixed things, or this new version.  But either way it's better.  Thanks.  I am going to try that TELE one out as well.  Still need more testing to be confident, but I'm hoping it's working good enough now..

Q: Sometimes I say something and it doesn't show up in the log.  I would always to know what it 'thinks' I said.  Is there a way to fix that?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:34:53 AM by Snacko »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Unfortunately, there's no concept of an, 'unrecognized' phrase while using Speech Platform 11 (no event is triggered).  It's one of the drawbacks of using it :(

The new speech profile you are using after training it is not used if you are using Speech Platform 11.

I found that the 'MS Server Speech Recognition Language - TELE (en-US)' engine seems to work better for me over the lightweight version.  Your experience may be different.

Now that you've trained up a new profile for the built-in engine, have you tried switching back to SAPI to see if that helps at all?

Snacko

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
Unfortunately, there's no concept of an, 'unrecognized' phrase while using Speech Platform 11 (no event is triggered).  It's one of the drawbacks of using it :(
Ah.. ok.  LoL..  Before all this, I was looking at the unrecognized speech and sometimes just using that as my command since that's what it heard.  ;-) 

The new speech profile you are using after training it is not used if you are using Speech Platform 11.
Is my trained speech profile used with TELE?  Or not with either 11 or TELE?

I found that the 'MS Server Speech Recognition Language - TELE (en-US)' engine seems to work better for me over the lightweight version.  Your experience may be different.

Now that you've trained up a new profile for the built-in engine, have you tried switching back to SAPI to see if that helps at all?
Is SAPI that Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windows (English - US) that I had before?  That I do still see in the Windows Advanced Speech settings window for the Speech Recognition Language?  And is that also the 'System Default' that I see in the VA Speech Engine dropdown?

Sorry, I'm a little confused about some of this.   ;)

I would like to test if that old one worked (SAPI?).  Because if the fix was really my new profile, I would like to back that up.

Thanks,
Snacko