Author Topic: Sudden variation in volume  (Read 3288 times)

samisundman

Sudden variation in volume
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
Been trying to figure this issue out for couple of weeks now and think I have it narrowed down to VoiceAttack.
I switched from my old analog 7.1 headset to an usb wireless one and after that I noticed some sort of random "normalization" going on when using VoiceAttack with HCS Voicepacks (Verity for Elite Dangerous) and EDDI plugin.

I'd set the volume levels to desired levels, but randomly VA responds to commands would be extremely loud, like the volume would be set to max. This would alternate between HCS voicepack (pre-recorded responses) and EDDI plugin (TTS engine doing the speaking).
I sort of fixed the issue by separating EDDI from VA and running it standalone along the side, so I have separate volume control for them. But still I occasionally get some response from VA coming extremely loud. And it's not a specific command, just randomly any response might suddenly have it's volume at maximum. It's like there would be an loudness/sound normalization going on, except it comes and goes.
I suspect it's the VA audio options that somehow mess with the Usb audio.
Only have this happen in VA, plus I've made sure no audio enhancements or effects are enabled, uninstalled and reinstalled audio drivers, etc.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Sudden variation in volume
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
Which Audio Output Type setting( -> "Audio" tab -> Audio Output Type) are you using? You could try switching to Legacy Audio to see if that changes anything.

Which headset are you using? When you reinstalled the drivers, were those for the internal sound card, or the USB soundcard?

EDIT: Fixed image links
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:49:15 PM by Pfeil »

samisundman

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:23:11 AM »
Which Audio Output Type setting( -> "Audio" tab -> Audio Output Type) are you using? You could try switching to Legacy Audio to see if that changes anything.

Which headset are you using? When you reinstalled the drivers, were those for the internal sound card, or the USB soundcard?

I've tried them all. Legacy audio seems to be most consistent, integrated components gives the volume issue quite frequently and Windows Media components won't let me adjust the volume at all.
Headset is Razer Man'o'War 7.1 wireless. I uninstalled my onboard audio drivers (Realtek HD audio) since I have nothing currently connected to it, but the Razer audio drivers are just usb drivers that get installed when plugging in the usb-dongle.
Also uninstalled and re-installed the Razer synapse software, since it has the settings for the headset. Not sure if that's part of the issue.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
Razer software is known to cause issues with voice recognition, but this is the first report of audio output issue.

Though, previous reports were about the Kraken, so perhaps it's something about the Man'o'War specifically that causes this.

You could try running it without Synapse installed to see if that makes a difference, to rule that out at least.

samisundman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
I tried uninstalling Razer Synapse software completely (could've sworn I tried that already, guess not...) and the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks for all your help, seems to be working fine now.