Author Topic: VA and Mediamonkey?  (Read 3837 times)

killsec

VA and Mediamonkey?
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »
I've heard others were able to get VA to work with MediaMonkey for audio playback, and I'd really like to set up a command to play some music or audiobooks while I'm flying long hauls through Elite Dangerous, I just cant seem to get it to work. I've checked my Hotkeys in mediamonkey and my play/pause hotkey is set to global, and the hot key isn't bound to anything in Elite Dangerous. It actually works just fine outside of the game but as soon as I'm in game it's like the key isn't registering. Totally confused and haven't been able to find a clear answer as to how to get this to work. Please help! :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA and Mediamonkey?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Are you using a "normal" key combination as your play/pause hotkey, or is it an actual media key?

Elite is likely intercepting regular keyboard keys, but may allow media keys through.

Try clicking the keyboard icon underneath the "Press Key" button in the "Add a Keypress" action, and select "Play / Pause", set the hotkey within MediaMonkey to this as well(you should be able to have VoiceAttack execute the command so the key can be detected by MediaMonkey if your keyboard doesn't have a dedicated play/pause button).

killsec

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 04:47:27 AM »
Looks like I'm making some headway! Thanks for that. Unfortunately now I'm trying to get around the issue of Elite:Dangerous losing focus. Not very good to lose control of the sticks till I tab back in to game. I'm using an Oculus Rift after all. Is there a good quick method for setting focus on the game once the media starts playing? Or even better, to play the music without ever losing window focus at all? I can paste pictures of my MediaMonkey hotkeys as well as my Voice Attack profile if need be.

Would suck to be in the middle of a dog fight, put on some speed metal, and get blown to bits because the game wasn't my focus window :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 06:18:15 AM »
Are you sending the command to MediaMonkey explicitly? If you have your command target set to something other than "Active Window", the target window will gain focus when a command is executed.

If you have global hotkeys setup, when you send the media play/pause key to the active window it should be picked up by your media player.

killsec

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:21:44 AM »
I've tried it both ways. If I target MediaMonkey exclusively it works, but of course then the game loses focus. If I don't (i.e. Active Window) the media play/pause does nothing. Confirmed again that both VA and MediaMonkey are set to use Media Play/Pause and MediaMonkeys hotkey for play/pause is global.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
From what I can find, MediaMonkey supports parts of the Winamp API, so it may support the same window messages.

I have a simple .exe that does nothing but send a "pause" message to Winamp(or any program supporting the same interface), attached to this post.

Run it while MediaMonkey is playing, and see if it has any effect(it won't display anything, at most you can see the process appear and quickly disappear in task manager).

The program is compiled with the VoiceAttack example plugin's "WinampLib" class embedded. I'm not sure what license it's under, but it's distributed with VoiceAttack, so I hope it's permissive enough for this type of distribution.

If the application works, you can use a VoiceAttack plugin to control MediaMonkey. The example plugin included with VoiceAttack can do this, but I don't think there's a compiled/documented version available at the moment. I can compile it for you if need be.