Author Topic: Profile Recovery  (Read 4657 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Profile Recovery
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
Is there a way to recover a deleted VoiceAttack profile? I noticed that I have a bunch of .dat files and they all contain my profile names. Is it a matter of somehow making VA read an older .dat file that contains the deleted profile?

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Re: Profile Recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »
NVM, I think I figured it out. Gary would have to confirm my below statements, but I figured I'd share what I found.

VA stores .dat files in the AppData>Roaming>VoiceAttack folder. At least, it does for my setup. You'll just need to search your PC for "voiceattack.dat" to find where the files are kept. Anyway this VA folder houses a VoiceAttack.dat file and a folder called Backup which contains .dat files with sequential numbering (e.g., 20170608104452.VoiceAttack.dat). These .dat files contain information for all profiles. As you might guess the .dat files in the Backup folder contain previous versions of the profile set, and the main VoiceAttack.dat file contains the profile set that gets loaded when VA is started. I was able to load previous profile revisions by simply:
  • Closing VoiceAttack
  • Deleting the VoiceAttack.dat file
  • Copying a given Backup ###.VoiceAttack.dat file
  • Pasting this .dat file in the AppData>Roaming>VoiceAttack folder
  • Deleting all the numbering and '.' of the pasted .dat file leaving a new (but older versioned) VoiceAttack.dat file for VA to read
  • Opening VoiceAttack

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
That is correct.  There is a little bit about that at the very end of the help document if it's worth anything.  It's sole purpose (at least initially) is to help with what you just described.  I accidentally deleted a command and clicked, 'done' and would have liked to have been able to get it back.  So, from that, your last 10, 'commits' are stored in the backup folder.  I may increase that number o_O. 

It's helped in cases where a profile gets corrupt for some reason, so I've considered making an automatic check to get a, 'last-known working profile' if something like that happens (it may already do that... can't remember... too much software).

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
Good call about the Help Document (it's on page 169). I should have searched for 'voiceattack.dat.'  ::)

What does the software define as a "commit?" I.e., how often is the backup file created?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:49:18 PM by Exergist »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »
Clicking, 'Done' on the profile edit page is when everything is committed.  You can modify as many commands as you want, as well as alter the profile, but nothing is actually saved until you click, 'Done'.