Author Topic: Audio. Dll  (Read 4820 times)

bookmite

Audio. Dll
« on: March 25, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »
Hi guys, yesterday I installed the personal pack I purchased. I had issues , VA was showing as recogising the commands but I wasn't getting a verbal response from Astra . I decided I would leave a message with hsc and simply reverted to my previously installed profile ( Astra full house ) ...Then my pc decided that it was not recognising that I had a mic installed, so I rebooted my pc and got a message up saying that a audio.dll was missing. I googled it and found the missing dll file and dropped a copy in my system32 folder and the 64WOW folder...my pc still does not think I have a mic fitted although it's showing in the sound option in the control panel and when I try to " set up mic " nothing happens. Audio is there, I'm hearing sounds but I can't get the mic to work.

Has anyone got any clues? ...I've uninstalled VP and reinstalled it, I've also done all windows updates . I know it's an old version of windows ( Win 7 ultimate x64 and my gfx card is a nvidea 1050 ... it's been a solid build and never really had issues I couldn't get around until now.

Please help

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Audio. Dll
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
.dll's aren't supposed to just dissapear, so that's a bit worrying. Did you get the error message when Windows started, or when you started VoiceAttack?

Which sound devices do you have in the "Recording" tab of the "Sound" window(easily accessed by right-clicking the speaker icon in the system tray and clicking the "Recording devices" item in the context menu)?

Is it a USB microphone, or is it plugged into a built-in soundcard?

bookmite

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
Thanks for your quick response.

Yes the recording device shows up and it's set to the default device.

It says it's there but not working.

Apparently and according to google, this is a known but random event...often triggered by a registry hiccup, or spyware. As I have only been connected to the hsc website and ed servers , it's unlikely to be the latter. Can you or anyone tell me exactly where the dll should live ? Or if you could search your pc for audio.dll and let me know where it lives, then would help immensely.

Thank you sir

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
Huh. As you said
a audio.dll
I figured you just meant a .dll to do with audio. I only have one .dll on my system by that exact name, and it belongs to Steam, not Windows, so it's unlikely to be required for basic functionality.

Have you checked the settings of your soundcard? Make sure it's not looking for a front panel microphone when it's plugged in the rear or vice-versa(This setting may have changed for seemingly no reason).

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
You might want to take some time to look at this thread to make sure all the dots are lined up:

http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=63.0

bookmite

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:26:40 PM »
Thanks Gary for the link and heads up. I will double check in the morning I did check that yesterday via the control panel / sounds / device/ defaults. There is only one for recording that says "plugged in " which is set to default and has a green tick . It's entirely probable thinking about it that's where the issue may lie

@ppfel
It's puzzling, as you say dll files just don't disappear and note your comment about file location, I don't use Steam , my copy was a direct download from Frontier

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »
Huh. As you said
a audio.dll
I figured you just meant a .dll to do with audio. I only have one .dll on my system by that exact name, and it belongs to Steam, not Windows, so it's unlikely to be required for basic functionality.

I just did a check on my system (Win 10 64bit), and audio.dll for me only appears once in my whole system, and that is inside Steam.

bookmite

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:00:38 AM »
Thanks all...it was originally the dll file that was missing. That's fixed now and I added to the situation and made it worse by connecting a brand new wired headset . I have two sets of jack points. The ones I used were wrong. I plugged it in the back set and bang they worked

Thanks much appreciated