Author Topic: Using microphone and external speakers with VA  (Read 1595 times)

Robbie

Using microphone and external speakers with VA
« on: May 02, 2020, 06:13:51 AM »
We always have to use a headset with VA. But I kind of always liked the idea of playing my games with external speaker in 5.1 surround with VA too, but have never been able to do so with my gaming PC setup as it is. Recently I found a noise-cancellation software kit called "RTX voice" by NVIDIA. One has to have an RTX gfx card fitted (I don't have an RTX card btw) to enable this software to work. So I was wondering if anyone here has tried testing out their RTX card with this noise-filtering software with Voice Attack while using external speakers when turned up loud.

Here's a video demonstrating the power of this amazing software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWUHkCgslNE&t=0s

Also some other technical links here:
Video tech help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Hs4xgimvU
Website: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/nvidia-rtx-voice-setup-guide
Any takers for trying out this challenge?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:06:20 AM by Robbie »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Using microphone and external speakers with VA
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
While it's not officially supported, it is apparently possible to alter the installer configuration to have that feature work on on-RTX graphics cards, so if you have a relatively recent NVIDIA GTX series card you might be able to try it for yourself.

Note that as this technology actively manipulates the sound coming from your input device, if you do get it to work, the speech recognition engine may become (much) less accurate.

Speech recognition training is partly intended to adapt recognition to your microphone and environment, but if the NVIDIA software is continuously changing how your microphone sounds, that could diminish the effectiveness of that mechanism.
I would recommend creating a new voice recognition profile and training it (three times at least) to check whether that does improve accuracy.

If you find the regular speech recognition engine has issues with recognition while this software is active, even after re-training, you could try the alternate speech recognition engine, which comes with a number of caveats (mainly a lack of dictation support, including any feature that relies of freely recognizing non-predefined speech), but cannot/does not need to be trained, and may be more suited to operating under conditions like that.

Robbie

Re: Using microphone and external speakers with VA
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 03:05:06 AM »
Some interesting points you raise there, Pfeil.

I'm in the process of buying a new PC (after this damn lock-down ends in the UK), and so was also considering buying an RTX card for my new rig. My current rig has an older AMD card, so am not in position to test this kit out for myself just yet.

But I was curious to know if anyone else here had at least attempted to try out RTX Voice with VA.

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.