Author Topic: Running into a odd problem with the Shift button being held.  (Read 2332 times)

iceblast

Running into a odd problem with the Shift button being held, without any commands even being in the profile at all.

I've been playing a game called, PC Building Simulator, I did have a tiny profile for it, but after a period of time, I would find that the Shift button was being held, which prevented me from typing in numbers and other things. None of my commands was suppose to Hold the Shift button either.

I started going through my profile looking for anything that would cause this problem, and nothing. I don't have commands from other profiles loading either.

So, I decided to just wipe out all the commands in the profile, so it's just blank when I play the game. I thought that solved the problem, till I realized, it was still doing it. With zero commands being used.

Now, how do I know it's Voiceattack holding Shift, because the moment I hit Stop in Voiceattack, Shift becomes unstuck. Unless, VA is sending out a Release Shift command across the system, then I'm wrong.

If I just Close VA, I no longer have this problem.

My question is, do you have any idea why, with just this game, it would start Holding Shift?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Running into a odd problem with the Shift button being held.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:32:03 PM »
Hi, iceblast - good to hear from you ;)

You'll want to check all your commands to see if you've got a Shift down somewhere.  You can search by putting, 'shift' in the little box at the bottom of the Edit Profile screen.  VA wont press down a key unless it's told to - and I'm not getting any other reports from users with that complaint yet (due to an introduced bug).

Edit - something to note - when you close VA, it tells Windows to release any mod keys that are left down (alt, shift, win, ctrl).  This is in case a mod key is left down within a command that was not resolved.  This would make it appear that closing VA resolves the problem (when it may not even had been VA issuing the key down).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:42:16 PM by Gary »

iceblast

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
I usually check the site a few times a day. I like to help users with their questions, but haven't really seen any questions I could help with here lately, or someone had already helped them. :)

On my problem though, the Shift problem occurs when there are zero commands in the profile. You could create a brand new profile, and add zero commands, and this Shift problem happens.

If you hit Stop on VA, the problem is fixed, and the problem doesn't happen, if VA isn't running. Also, the problem doesn't happen while playing anything else.

I use VA all day long, and it only has this problem with PC Building Simulator. I literally have to close VA to play the game.

PC Building Simulator doesn't use Shift for any of it's commands.

The command log shows nothing, I have no idea why this is happening. It's a real head scratcher. I can usually work out most problems I'm having, but this one is alluding me.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »
How are you noticing shift is held down? Does it persist after the game is closed if VoiceAttack is kept running without stopping commands?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 10:53:34 PM »
Just another note - hitting stop command also releases mod keys.

iceblast

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 02:11:29 AM »
How do I notice Shift is being held? It's when you try to type a number and you get Symbols instead. I haven't tried to close the game, so I don't know if Shift continues to be held or not,but the game it's self doesn't use Shift for anything.

Gary, when you say releases mod keys, is that mod keys made with VA, or by any other program?

I don't have any commands that Holds Shift in VA, and AHK is the only other program I use, and I don't have any commands like that.

Also, this only happens while playing PC Building Simulator. If VA is Close, I don't have the Shift problem. When VA is open, I see no commands in the log, that have anything to do with Shift. Especially when I play with a blank profile, that has zero command made for it, and I'm not loading commands from other profiles either.

No idea where this Hold Shift command is coming from. Like I said, hitting Stop on VA, makes the problem go away, till it's somehow triggered again, or if VA isn't running.

It's a very odd problem, that doesn't seem to show any sign where it's coming from, or why.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »
When VA 'releases' the mod keys, it is telling Windows to release Alt, Ctrl, Shift and Win keys (so, for all programs).

Pressing/releasing keys, although seemingly the most basic thing you can do, actually require a fair bit of overhead.  VA has no code that just presses or releases keys on its own - it would have to originate from a command.  If VA randomly pressed and held keys down, this place would be rather full of that same complaint (and justifiably so)  ;)