Author Topic: Slow to perform command  (Read 294 times)

GolddenWaffels

Slow to perform command
« on: September 12, 2024, 09:08:28 AM »
Hey so I use voice attack for DCS so it is set to perform a task on another app. And it takes too long for it to recognize my speech and perform the command. And no I don't have it set for it to take 30 seconds or anything like that to perform the command. But it actually doesn't even recognize my speech until like 30 seconds later. So for example, I have a command which only activates an audio file which is recognize instantly, however any command that needs to be performed in the app it takes like 30 seconds or more to recognize and then do whatever it has to in the app. Like I say blah blah blah, and then 30 or so seconds later it appears in the text box as recognized:"blah blah blah" and then it performs whatever in the app. Not sure why there is this delay. I'm running the app in administrator mode. I have the enable plugin support disabled, the speech recognition settings look alright, and I made sure that the commands are set to perform like 0.1 seconds after being said. Any help? Thanks!!!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Slow to perform command
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 09:22:22 AM »
That is certainly not normal. Does following the instructions in this topic make a difference?

Does this delay occur if you execute one of the commands you're having this issue with while the game is not running (you may need to change the target of the command, depending on your targeting settings)?

GolddenWaffels

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 09:40:03 AM »
Hi, thanks for the fast reply. I created a new speech profile following your linked instructions but the problem still persists. The delay also occurs while the game is not running. The target for all the commands in the profile is set to DCS (i.e. the app) not the active window. Except for a couple of commans which just activate audio files.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 09:41:21 AM »
What do the commands you're having this issue with generally contain? Could you export your profile and upload it here, perhaps?

GolddenWaffels

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 09:50:38 AM »
Yeah hang on.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 10:01:05 AM »
The actions in your commands don't seem to be out of the ordinary at all.
On my machine there is no delay.

If you set the target for the commands to the active window, does that make a difference?

As a side note, if the majority of the commands in your profile have the same target, you'd normally want to use the profile-level "Send commands to this target" option, rather than setting a target for each command individually (the command-level "Send command to this target:" option overrides the profile-option, in case a different target is required for a specific command)

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 10:07:35 AM »
Does the command exhibit this delay if you assign a hotkey to it?

E.g., is there a delay when the command is executed by hitting, say, Alt + F7?

GolddenWaffels

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 10:18:45 AM »
Alright I did uncheck all the "send this command to this target" boxes on all the commands. And I set it to active window. Which actually made it work. So I'm good now.
I still find it weird that it has a delay when the boxes are all ticked on individually per each command. I guess I found a limit of VoiceAttack hahaha. But your instructions did seem to help.
Thank you very much for your help!!! I appreciate you.

Edit: Not sure if there is a delay when a hotkey is assigned. But I guess that the problem is not related Gary. Thanks.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 10:22:26 AM »
Given that made a difference, something on your machine seems to be interfering with the retrieval of window information, which is necessary for targeting.

The reason it didn't affect commands that only play sounds, is that commands that don't contain actions that require a target, don't perform targeting (unless the "Stop command if target window focus is lost" option is also enabled)

GolddenWaffels

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 10:27:16 AM »
Alright understood. I might do a healthcheck see if that detects anything. It may be related to windows defender or some other windows app that might block the actions from one app to another. Even anti-virus might have a part in it. But I guess that depends from computer to computer and depending on user settings. I do remember that I had to bypass the windows defender when using steam apps because it simply didn't run properly, i.e. it wasn't able to use all of my CPU cores not sure why. But bypassing windows defender did help. Perhaps that problem is coming back to haunt me or something. I'll give it a look if any other problems arise.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2024, 10:31:27 AM »
As Pfeil has mentioned, VA uses Windows' APIs to access Window information.  'Active Window' basically asks Windows "What's on top?", and Windows is responding quickly on your machine.  If VA is instructed to target a specific window, VA asks Windows to essentially help locate that window and bring it into focus.  This is normally completed virtually instantaneously.  If those APIs are not responding in a timely manner, that will affect performance.  You'll want to try doing a system file scan to see if there is something low-hanging that can be fixed with that tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Make sure to run both the SFC and DISM steps.  Also, a restart might be helpful (not a shutdown and boot, but rather a restart - they are different, actually).