Author Topic: VA random crashes  (Read 2844 times)

Judy1301

VA random crashes
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
Hello,

I'm Judy, new to this community. I've had VA for a long time now but I've really started to use it intensively recently.
I use it with F4 BMS. I don't use any plug-in and I also run it as administrator.
The problem is that VA randomly crashes after a few minutes in the sim. I don't understand why. I keep sending vocal commands but nothing happens and when I quit my simulator, I see the VA icon in the task bar, disappearing when I place my mouse cursor on it.
Let me attach my Voiceattackfault.txt file. I hope someone will be able to decypher it and give me a solution.

Thanks a lot
Judy

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA random crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
Hi, Judy.  Thank you for the fault file.  May I ask what version of VoiceAttack you are using?

Judy1301

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
Hey Gary, thanks for answering so promptly. I use version 1.7.8.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
Hi, Judy.

These are all new exceptions that I've not seen in VA ever before, so, you'll have to forgive me for not knowing exactly what to do just yet.

If you're certain you're not using plugins (Options > General > Enable Plugins is NOT checked), and you are certain that your commands do not include any inline functions, you'll want to start with the simple stuff (since I don't have an answer for you, and this seems (at least for now) to be isolated to your system).  I would do this in the following order, easiest first:

1) Create a new profile with simple commands that interact with your game.  This way we can see if there's a command that's somehow gotten itself borked up.

2)  Try a system file scan to see if anything could be identified as out of sorts (assuming you are using Windows 10):   
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
This is good to do from time to time - it's not always a clear picture, but if there's something low-hanging, it does a good job of picking it up.

3) Reinstall VoiceAttack (uninstalling first).  This is to check to see if some component of the installation is not right -  Your profiles and settings will remain intact.

4) Check out this thread (ignore the title):  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0   This seems to resolve many issues related to the speech engine that can't be fixed otherwise (I noticed there is reference to speech engine events in the fault file).

Hoping something in there helps!

Judy1301

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
OK, Gary. Thanks a lot. I'll try what you're suggesting and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Judy

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »
Step 2 saved my butt a ways back thanks to Gary... Windows Update got borked big time after I apparently tried to stop an update process so I could use my computer one afternoon. (ps. FUMS) ;)  My fault for getting Win10 Home and not Pro which has more control over updates without getting trixy.

Best wishes and good luck!  Let us all know if or when you get it working, any questions feel free to ask.  Cheers!

Judy1301

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for your help.
I did what Gary suggested (the whole procedure) and VA seems to be much more stable. I was able to fly a campaign mission (1h30) and a TE (1h) with no crash. I'll keep testing it and report here if I notice anything.

Judy