Author Topic: My profile is no longer understanding commands  (Read 4417 times)

kenjiro

My profile is no longer understanding commands
« on: April 05, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
Hi there.

I have a quite big VA profile to use with Elite Dangerous (Vector Sigma) which I created in two versions (English and Portuguese). The English version got a bunch of new commands added and the Portuguese one "lagged behind".

Now that I upgraded the Portuguese version from 3.3 to 3.6 (my versioning), VA simply stopped "understanding" all the commands.

As I see, it's not necessarily a VA bug, because if I load the old profile, VA answers the commands just fine. I am trying to find out what kind of "junk" might have been added to the new version which makes VA misbehave. Redoing all the commands will take a very long time :(

Do you guys know what I could look for in VAP code that might be creating this issue?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: My profile is no longer understanding commands
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Are you switching to a Portuguese speech recognition engine when using this profile?

Do all commands come up as "Unrecognized"? Did you just add new commands, or change existing ones? Are you using prefix/suffix?

kenjiro

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
I use the same speech engine with the old version (3.3-Sigma-PT_BR) and the newer one (3.6-Sigma-PT_BR). VA recognises the commands when I switch to 3.3, it doesn't when I switch to 3.6.

Now focusing on 3.6, VA doesn't complain about anything. The "sound detection bar" moves as it should but nothing else happens.

I added some commands and changed others :(

No, I didn't change anything in VA in relation to prefix/suffix. It is the way VA was shipped ;)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
Is this new version available? I could import it, see what happens.

kenjiro

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »
Thanks for your attention, Pfeil.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1de3EihF7AQIRSYIVwiiJfTEorVT4ke7F

I zipped the whole folder, just in case. Noticed I added both VAP files (3.3b1-Sigma-PT_BR.vap (old version) and 3.6-Sigma-PT_BR.vap (new and bugged version))

Please tell me if you find anything.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »
From what I can tell, the profile itself works, in so far as I can test it.

Have you tried disabling plugins? Perhaps one of the new commands uses a feature it didn't before(something getting hung up on a special character that's only present in Portuguese perhaps).

kenjiro

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
Well, I tried disabling plugins and the behavior is just the same (3.3b1 works, 3.6 doesn't) :(

A big mistery :(

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
Is there anything in your VoiceAttackFault.txt file(found in the installation directory, if the file exists), per chance?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 11:11:32 PM »
Hi, Kenjiro - would you be willing to export, zip and upload the offending profile to this thread?

When you say the action bar moves but nothing else happens - are you getting ANY feedback at all (like, 'unrecognized' log entries)?

kenjiro

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »
Pfeil,
There is some stuff in VoiceAttackFault.txt, but I don't think it has to do with the issue. I say this because I was watching that file (using baretail) then I started VA. Nothing was written there while VA was starting, when the profile was loading or while I was trying many of the commands I have.

Gary,
All the files my profile uses (the TXT files for the responses) and both the old version (3.3b1-Sigma-PT_BR) and the new/bugged version (3.6-Sigma-PT_BR) VAP files are here, which I shared earlier: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1de3EihF7AQIRSYIVwiiJfTEorVT4ke7F

And no, I don't get any feedback/error messages from VA. Except for the "moving bar", it's like I am quiet all the time. Again, this behavior only shows up with Sigma 3.6 (PT_BR). The old PT_BR version works just fine, the English version (3.6) works fine too.

oh! oh! I just noticed one or two things. When I talk (and it doesn't respond or give me any errors) I just saw that an icon 'lights up' VERY QUICKLY and disappears on the top right of VA. In fact, it showed two different icons: a "balloon with a lightning bolt" and some times it is a triangle with an exclamation mark. They don't show up all the time, just now and then.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
Have you tried importing the .vap and checking whether the duplicate exhibits the same symptoms?

kenjiro

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
I just tried what I think you suggested:
1- exported the bugged VAP
2- imported it, thus creating a duplicate with "-1" at the end of the name

The behavior is exactly the same when I issue commands

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »
Hi, Kenjiro -

The reason I was wanting you to upload your existing profile was to see if there was something about it that you had maybe changed inadvertently that may be causing it to malfunction (as Pfeil was able to download what was on the site and was not experiencing any problems with it).

I know this sounds weird, but can you try what is in this thread:
https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

Just wondering if there is something about your underlying Windows speech profile that may be out of sorts that could be causing problems.

If that does not work, I would try doing a system file scan (just to be safe):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Another avenue is to try a different speech engine altogether (if the speech engine itself is getting hung up):
http://voiceattack.com/alternate

Hope some of that helps!

kenjiro

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »

I know this sounds weird, but can you try what is in this thread:
https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

Tried that, but it didn't change anything :(

If that does not work, I would try doing a system file scan (just to be safe):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Tried those tips too, Found a few problems, repaired, etc. But... VA+my profile is still messing with me *LOL*

Another avenue is to try a different speech engine altogether (if the speech engine itself is getting hung up):
http://voiceattack.com/alternate
I have two speech engines installed on my Win10. The default one (for English recognition) and the one from the URL above (both files downloaded and installed) for the Portuguese recognition.

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the profile. The old version works just fine, the new one doesn't. In both cases I use the same speech engine for Portuguese recognition.

I have been checking for "[[", "]]", missing "[" or "]". (there were some of those problems in the VAP file) I correct those commands, re-imported the VAP but it still doesn't work.

Really, really weird.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:57:19 PM by kenjiro »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »
I have been checking for "[[", "]]", missing "[" or "]". (there were some of those problems in the VAP file) I correct those commands, re-imported the VAP but it still doesn't work.

Did you edit the .vap manually before? It's not supposed to be possible to create commands with nested or unpaired brackets.

One thing you can try, though it would be quite tedious, is to start deleting commands from a duplicate of your profile to see if that eventually makes a difference.

You could start course by removing all commands within a specific category(you can't delete an entire category at once, but if you use the delete key on your keyboard it's relatively quick), save the profile, check if the issue still occurs, and repeat until you either find that removing a certain category has allowed the profile to work, or you run out of commands.

If you find which category causes the issue, you can narrow it down further by making a fresh duplicate of your profile and removing that category again(to rule out that the issue is caused by multiple ones), testing again, then making another fresh copy and removing commands within only that category one-by-one to find out if it's one particular command.

Again, I realize this would be a lengthy and tedious process, but as I personally can't replicate the issue within the environment of my own system, you're the one with the option to test this.

kenjiro

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »
Did you edit the .vap manually before? It's not supposed to be possible to create commands with nested or unpaired brackets.

It was good you mentioned that. Now I remember that yes, one month ago (or a little more) when I last worked on this profile, I did something like that. I had many commands which I needed to be changed (more than 100). So I exported the profile, opened the VAP on a text editor and used the "Replace" function.

But then, right after that, I started the project of translating EDDI to Portuguese (the software interface and its scripts).

So, that "mass replace" could be responsible for this issue. But even after fixing the missing/extra "[" or "]", the profile doesn't work as it should.

Right now I have two options:

1- rework the "old" version, which is working, to add/edit the commands one by one until it reaches the same state as version 3.6
2- Do as you advised me, removing commands (or whole categories) to see if I find the "offending command".

I am more inclined to choose #1 ;)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
One more thing I'd like you to try, to see if there's something we can rule out:

Could you load up the Portuguese profile with the English speech recognition engine, and see if that'll work?

If you pick a reasonably simple command the English engine should be able to recognize it still, though you may need to butcher the pronunciation a bit.

kenjiro

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 11:30:17 AM »
One more thing I'd like you to try, to see if there's something we can rule out:

Could you load up the Portuguese profile with the English speech recognition engine, and see if that'll work?

If you pick a reasonably simple command the English engine should be able to recognize it still, though you may need to butcher the pronunciation a bit.

So damn weird. I tried that and only the commands that sound the same in both languages were understood by VA.

But then, it can't be VA's fault. Something got messed in my profile :(

Guys, really thanks for all your attention, tests and suggestions.

I will drop this for today. Tomorrow I will start upgrading the old version command by command, won't use "mass edition" (with a text editor) and things should be just fine ;)