Author Topic: Voice Attack works for about 2 hours, then freezes/crashes!  (Read 3097 times)

Tzeff_NL

Voice Attack works like a charm for 1 hour or 2. Then suddenly it stops sending commands! And when I ALT+TAB to desktop, it turns out that VA has frozen; it won't "hear" my voice at all and if I change profile Windows 10 will say VA has "stopped responding"!
My "solution" is force shut down VA with taskmanager then restart VA and...hope it will run longer than 2 hours! (but it won't!)

What am I supposed to do?

Hint: I always give VA a "high" priorit with Taskmanager, for it to respond faster. I never had this problem untill a new windows 10 update...

Re-install VA?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Voice Attack works for about 2 hours, then freezes/crashes!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »
That's certainly atypical and shouldn't be happening.  Are you running any plugins, by chance?  I would start by disabling plugins to see if that helps at all.  Sometimes a plugin will go sideways and that will bring down the entire app.
You may also want to see if there is a VoiceAttackFault.txt file in your VA installation directory.  If there is, look in there and see if anything looks like it may be related to your issue (recent date/time).  If so, you can send it over to support@voiceattack.com (or post it here) and I can take a look at it.

Something else to consider is your speech engine (very likely).  Take a look at this thread (ignore the title): https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0
You may also want to consider an alternate speech engine to see if that helps:  http://voiceattack.com/aternate

Also, you mentioned a Windows 10 update - if this is widespread and affect other VA users, we'll probably hear more about it here.  If this is something that I can reproduce, I'll certainly see what I can do.

Hope some of that helps!

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Voice Attack works for about 2 hours, then freezes/crashes!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:34:18 PM »
Hi, Tzeff -

I am relaying your solution here as the VA Google group is permanently closed.  Thank you for taking the time to share what you found!

Posted June 10 @ 3:13PM PDT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi again. I've fixed the problem but I'm not 100% certain why it happens.
I've discovered that there's a default GLOBAL HOTKEY to "suspend/resume listening" that is also used by Nvidia for some Geforce Experience hotkey. (I didn't know they both were sharing the same default key!)

Once I had disabled the Voice Attack GLOBAL HOTKEY to "suspend/resume listening", Voice attack worked for hours upon hours without any problems!

So it's not Windows 10 64-bit related, but I believe Nvidia related. But why Voice Attack gets suspended and indefinately, untill I restart VA...I have no idea. I never used these hotkeys for both Nvidia and VA!

But please take note for this solution for future troubleshoots with other users!

Have a nice day!