Author Topic: Listening ON after options OK continues...  (Read 3841 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Listening ON after options OK continues...
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
Just downloaded v1.7 on my Windows 7 PC and the issue I previously highlighted here where VA automatically starts listening after pressing the OK button in the Options menu is still present. Right after pressing the OK button the VA main window kind of "phases out" and then pops back in again (Gary this is similar to what we talked about regarding the window handle resetting). Subsequent OK button presses don't have this window phasing but the listening still gets enabled. Haven't tried this yet on my Windows 10 PC.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Listening ON after options OK continues...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Can replicate, but there's an important detail to this, which is why I thought it was fixed:

It only happens if a global listening hotkey is enabled.

Now, it couldn't be replicated on anything but my physical machine, but I did previously observe behavior with this same caveat:

Quote from: https://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1810.msg8426#msg8426 edit#2
When VoiceAttack starts, the visual state of the listening toggle is initially desynchronized while the cursor is over the button after it's clicked, but only if the Recognition Global Hotkey is disabled!

Reverting to v1.6.9 proves that the issue occurred both with and without a global listening hotkey enabled, but the fix in v1.6.9.25 makes occur only when a global listening hotkey is enabled.

EDIT: I can't replicate
IIRC it also happens after profile import
In v1.6.9 or v1.7, with the global listening hotkey enabled or not.

Exergist, are you seeing that behavior in v1.7?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:58:29 AM by Pfeil »

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
Very interesting. I originally had the global hotkey Alt+F2 enabled for toggling the listening. In v1.7 on Windows 7 if I disable this global hotkey the auto-listen-after-OK behavior disappears. Reenabling the global hotkey makes the behavior reappear.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »
Is broke?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Is broke?

"Nah...psh, nah"

Alright, maybe a little.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:38:56 PM »
In short, for me on Windows 10 with VA v1.7 the voice recognition is automatically enabled after pressing OK in the Options menu if a global recognition hotkey is enabled and either of these options are enabled:
  • "Toggle listening start/stop"
  • "VoiceAttack stops listening while keys are down"

So I just installed v1.7 on my Windows 10 PC and did some testing. My original settings had the global recognition hotkey set to toggle and it was enabled (the actual key combination doesn't seem to matter). If I enable voice recognition then go into the options and press OK (no settings changes needed) then the recognition automatically enables. This is the undesirable behavior. Restarting VA makes no difference. If I go and disable the global recognition hotkey and repeat the process the voice recognition remains disabled (which should be the expected behavior). If I enable the global recognition and switch to "VoiceAttack stops listening while keys are down" then the undesirable behavior returns. If I keep the global hotkey enabled and switch to either "VoiceAttack listens while keys are down" or "Listen then stop listening after recognition completes" then the undesirable behavior disappears.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »
Ok.  I think I FINALLY see what's going on here.  What is going on is that even though the OK button is clicked on the options screen, the global hotkeys are not being altered but the listening is changed as if the options were changed.  So, for example, if you have it set up to listen only when a key is down and you click OK, listening will be turned off because that is what you are wanting.  However, if you've explicitly turned listening on and you go into options and click OK, the listening will still be turned off even though you didn't change the hotkey settings.  I think that can be corrected ;)