Author Topic: WSR & VA word recognition and capitalization  (Read 3073 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
WSR & VA word recognition and capitalization
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »
I've been playing around with adding Mass Effect 3 character names to the Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) dictionary and I noticed a strange behavior with VoiceAttack with regards to the capitalization of the first letter of the recognized name.

I've set the custom word "Samara" in WSR dictionary to always be capitalized. I can then use the following code to output the spoken command to the VoiceAttack log:

When I say Samara
Code: [Select]
Write '[Blue] {LASTSPOKENCMD}' to log
Then with Word open and in focus and both WSR and VoiceAttack listening I can watch as WSR and VoiceAttack interpret my command "Samara."

WSR always outputs "Samara" to Word, but VoiceAttack is less consistent. Sometimes it's "samara," other times it's "Samara." I've gone for a minute of "Samaras" and VoiceAttack showing "samara," and then suddenly I'll get a "Samara." However when I say a command "hello Samara" both WSR and VoiceAttack more consistently agree and output "hello Samara" (maybe the second word "helps?").  If I increase the recognition confidence level to a high value and get the command to be "almost" recognized the log outputs "'Samara recognized, but rejected with..." which is a capitalized "Samara."

I haven't tested on all the ME3 characters, but so far "Tali" is the only one I can very consistently get the capital T for in VoiceAttack. Maybe I need to start with a blank slate for the speech recognition.

I only care here because I'm trying to output formatted user responses to the log. If there is a way to extract text from a spoken command and then capitalize a part of that text then I really wouldn't care about all this.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: WSR & VA word recognition and capitalization
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
Unresolved.