Author Topic: Feature Request: Extra comment and notes fields  (Read 4655 times)

mikelimtw

Feature Request: Extra comment and notes fields
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
My VA profile for Elite Dangerous is getting scary long and complex. Would it be possible to add optional additional note and comment fields to each VA instruction? This would help users if they start working on a profile that was written a while back, or for people who wish to look at other people's profiles.

I realize there is a Description field already, but I have a tendency to write long, detailed descriptions because I use it more like a note field. Notes and comments would show up at the bottom of the instruction editing dialog in their own entry fields/boxes. Please make these large enough to be able to see the notes and comments without the need to select and use right arrow key to read the entire contents, or alternatively, you can use a text popup box when pointing to either the note or comment field to see what is written.

In the Edit a Command dialog showing the code, the comments would be appended to the end of each instruction and the note for the selected instruction would be in a box at the bottom. Alternatively, you can have notes show up in a popup text box when the mouse is hovering over a particular instruction. If you implement these changes, I can go back to making shorter descriptions, which I think was the original intent of that field.

Thanks for such a great program! I've been enjoying using it with Elite Dangerous!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:58:41 PM by mikelimtw »

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
Re: Feature Request: Extra comment and notes fields
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:54:31 AM »
You can actually add comments inline to the commands already

Other -> Advanced -> Add Comment to action list.

mikelimtw

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »
Ah, right at the bottom where I don't think I've ever looked... :P
Thanks for pointing this out to me, though. I've read the manual but I seem to have missed some of the fine print.

Ok so I got half my wish, but the problem is that it is done in a non-intuitive way that requires a few more mouse clicks. Wouldn't it be easier to put this in the command dialog as you are putting it together? I would still like to have a separate box for notes, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:35:51 AM by mikelimtw »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
The manual is a mysterious thing.

I could change the caption, 'Description' to, 'Notes'.  Would that help out?  It's really the same thing. 

For most, the, 'Description' field is overkill, especially since it's down there with, 'Category'.