Author Topic: VA Crashes during profile switches.  (Read 5500 times)

iceblast

VA Crashes during profile switches.
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:16:01 PM »
I've been having this problem for awhile, I just have been avoiding the issue. You probably already know about this problem. I don't know if there is anything you can do about it, or is there something I can do.

If you switch to a program, and then try to activate a command to fast, VA instantly crashes. I'll
ALT+TAB to another program, which triggers a profile switch and trigger a command, and bang, VA crashes. Happens a great many times. If it was a rare thing, I wouldn't say anything, but just today VA has crashed about 8 times, in a 2 hour time period. I've been trying to pause between switches, but I don't always remember.

Is there a way, you could make VA a bit more forgiving when you trigger a command before VA is ready. Maybe make it impossible to trigger a command till after the profile has completely loaded, and VA is ready. Have it just ignore commands till it's done. I don't know, something to keep VA from crashing.

Hopefully, I'm not asking for the impossible. I use a 20 button mouse, and it's great, you can trigger commands very fast, all with one hand,  or thumb in this case, but it becomes a fatal flaw when you start using profile switching.

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA Crashes during profile switches.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »
Can you post the profiles this happens with? Which VoiceAttack version are you using?

iceblast

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:50:59 AM »
Here's what I said, in the post anyway.

It can happen with any profile. But here are the two I've been using. I'm using the newest beta, but this isn't a new problem for me. I've had it every since profile switching. I just think, because of how fast my mouse allows me to be, that I run into a issue, where others don't, because there is more time in between their actions, who knows though.

I had dropped profile switching, and started to learn how to make VA use the same keys for different programs instead, of just changing to a new profile, and that's been working great, but now, I'm playing a new game, and there is just to many new things to do, and need a fresh profile to do it in, but this game has me switching between profiles a lot. That's when I run into a problem.

I'm mainly using keyboard macros with VA, through my 20 button mouse. Works great if you don't switch profiles. I can move pretty much as fast as I like. If I move to fast, nothing happens, and I just rehit the button again. VA is usually rock solid stable in a single profile. I can run thousands of commands, switching between programs constantly all day, and VA just keeps working, no problem.

My main profile has around 500 commands I think, a lot of old trial and error commands in there, and my new one has around 50. It doesn't matter which profile I happen to be switching to though, it can still crash. Because of that, I don't think it's what's in the profile that causes the crash. It seems more like VA doesn't know what to do with a command trigger in the middle of a switch, and crashes.

Anyway, hope you see something I'm not. Would love for this not to be a problem for me anymore.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:54:40 AM by iceblast »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:44 AM »
I asked for your profiles specifically because I can't replicate the issue with mine; However, I can't with yours either.

Obviously it's happening to you, but I'm spamming mouse and/or keyboard triggered commands and VoiceAttack loads the profiles like it should and doesn't crash, so I can't gather much information.

Does it present an error message when it crashes? If so, what does that say? Perhaps Gary can deduce something from that.

iceblast

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:35:12 AM »
Here you go. Looks like a Microsoft.net error.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:44:14 AM »
Can you click "View process details" to expand the exception information please?

iceblast

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
I had checked that, it just gives the path to VA, and gives my name Elevated. It just doesn't give any real info on why it's happening.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »
There is some protection for keeping things from occurring when profiles change, but I added some more stuff a little higher up the chain to see if that helps.  I put a build out in the, 'unofficial' bin if you want to see if it makes a difference:
http://www.voiceattack.com/unofficial

iceblast

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
Cool, thanks, I'll give it a try and report back!

iceblast

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
Well, I've tried to get it to crash, but everything has been working good. I was pretty active with switching between a game and a web browser before though, I did it many, many times, but I've already finished what I was doing, and my time is a bit limited at the moment. So, I'll continue to test it out, till I feel like the problem has truly been solved. :) I hope it has, I just don't want to say, yup, everything's great now, and then bang, it crashes again. So, I'm going to live with a few days, and see how it goes, and I'll report back.

No crashes so far though, and that's a good sign.

iceblast

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
Well, it's been a few days, and I haven't had a crash, so, it looks like your fix is working. I'll let you know if it happens again, and see if I can get a error code as well, but so far so good.

Thanks for your hard work!