Author Topic: noob issues help please  (Read 12564 times)

sintara

noob issues help please
« on: December 28, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
ok so i bought elite dangerous in the steam sale (wish i had bought this game sooner) and got to looking on youtube  see this VA people  was using checked it out then i found the voice packs  :o  so said take my money  ;D and bought VA and midnight BUT this is where i have run into problems and im sure its my own stupidity  but i have it half working

im getting him speak twice my keyboard wont work 100% if VA is active and 99% of the time simple words wont be recognized  like hello. so did some searching followed some instructions  and still having problems so i have come here in the hope of sorting it out 
i am running win 10 and blue yetty

ralf44

Re: noob issues help please
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »
Hey Sintara,

You'll get it working pretty fast, don't worry! Some Youtube users make it look easy because they've already been through their first day or two of confusion and didn't upload all that.

It sounds to me like you have a few different issues, the very basics are that Voice Attack gets its input from the Windows Voice Recognition system and that doesn't handle background noises well - it needs clear pauses (silence) between words or phrases.

"99% of the time simple words wont be recognized  like hello."

Start by checking that you are using a headset microphone and that the mic can only hear your voice. Turn the headset volume down low so that you can barely hear it to help with this, as many headphones will leak sounds that the mic picks up. The mic should not be right in front of your mouth or where your nose breathes into it - try swinging the headset mic up over your nose, in front of your forehead.

You will probably have to play with the (Windows) Sound Control Panel and set your mic input volume to less than 100% as well - distorted sounds are harder to understand. Voice Attack shows microphone volume in the bottom bar of its window, you want this not moving unless you are actually speaking, and then you do not need it to move all the way across to the right when you are talking at normal volume. If you have a TV on in the same room it just will not work.

Doing the boring Speech Training which you can find in Windows Speech Control Panel is important before trying to run the Universe, it helps but you have to do it more than once. Gary, the author of Voice Attack, recommends going through both set texts twice. One is about the history of speech recognition and the other one must have been even more boring because I forgot it already. You need Voice Attack to NOT be running while you do this training in Windows - don't run both at the same time as they fight.

Very short words like "hello" often cause problems because they can sound like other things. Try, "Greetings Midnight" to give him a better chance to understand you after doing the steps above.

If you want to know how well this can all work for you, look up Bearzly's Voice Only Dark Souls run and be amazed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2a2dLdZ0M
(Voice Attack is showing as the white box bottom-centre and you will see that even though it's recognising short commands like "heal" perfectly, as soon as he talks to the viewers it thinks he's saying complete nonsense.)

The other issues you mentioned,
"im getting him speak twice my keyboard wont work 100% if VA is active"

I am not sure about but I am sure that someone more experienced will know and help you out with troubleshooting for those.

ralf44

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »
"Midnight is speaking twice"

I remembered what that is. Voice Attack can be set to either wait until sounds finish playing or to recognise more commands at the same time, Midnight is set to talk over himself and might even be hearing himself speak and then recognising bits of that as new commands.

To check this, in Voice Attack's main settings (not in Profile editing with the list of commands, click the Spanner/Wrench when VA is first run) go to Audio and tick Force Legacy Audio.

That stops more than one sound playing at once. It does have a downside, which is that Voice Attack can only play WAV files not MP3s in that mode - my installation of Midnight came as WAVs so he should still be able to talk, just one thing at a time. Some of the HCS Voicepacks come as MP3s tho so they would go silent in Legacy Mode.

sintara

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
"Midnight is speaking twice"

I remembered what that is. Voice Attack can be set to either wait until sounds finish playing or to recognise more commands at the same time, Midnight is set to talk over himself and might even be hearing himself speak and then recognising bits of that as new commands.

To check this, in Voice Attack's main settings (not in Profile editing with the list of commands, click the Spanner/Wrench when VA is first run) go to Audio and tick Force Legacy Audio.

That stops more than one sound playing at once. It does have a downside, which is that Voice Attack can only play WAV files not MP3s in that mode - my installation of Midnight came as WAVs so he should still be able to talk, just one thing at a time. Some of the HCS Voicepacks come as MP3s tho so they would go silent in Legacy Mode.
clicking that has helped a bit thank you

im getting this
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:55:11 PM by sintara »

ralf44

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »
The Galaxapedia entries (female voice) are using features that don't work in Legacy Mode.

It looks like it is recognising you well now, did you do the Windows Voice training?

Try turning Legacy (Audio Settings) back off and see what happens.

Also try just giving commands without Elite: Dangerous running for a few minutes and watch the Voice Attack screen that you showed here - it tells you whenever it has heard the wrong thing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:03:12 PM by ralf44 »

sintara

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »
The Galaxapedia entries (female voice) are using features that don't work in Legacy Mode.

It looks like it is recognising you well now, did you do the Windows Voice training?

Try turning Legacy (Audio Settings) back off and see what happens.

Also try just giving commands without Elite: Dangerous running for a few minutes and watch the Voice Attack screen that you showed here - it tells you whenever it has heard the wrong thing.

its doing the same thing if its on or off and yes i did the windows voice

ralf44

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »
The red errors are only about Legacy mode being unable to wait for Midnight to finish his line before the lady starts, Voice Attack should not be able to say those messages when Force Legacy Audio is off.

To be sure there isn't a bug, click the wrench for Voice Attack settings, go to Audio, make sure "Force Legacy Audio" is not ticked.

Save out of the settings and click the close button top right of Voice Attack to quit it.

Restart it.

Then try one of the Galaxapedia commands, ie "Constellation Orion." You should hear Midnight and then the female voice and not see those red errors in Voice Attack.

sintara

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »
The red errors are only about Legacy mode being unable to wait for Midnight to finish his line before the lady starts, Voice Attack should not be able to say those messages when Force Legacy Audio is off.

To be sure there isn't a bug, click the wrench for Voice Attack settings, go to Audio, make sure "Force Legacy Audio" is not ticked.

Save out of the settings and click the close button top right of Voice Attack to quit it.

Restart it.

Then try one of the Galaxapedia commands, ie "Constellation Orion." You should hear Midnight and then the female voice and not see those red errors in Voice Attack.

ok worked but now the other problem is back

ralf44

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
Which one?

Can the Blue Yeti hear Midnight?

mikelimtw

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 02:57:41 AM »
When you select a pre-recorded response to playback, there are some checkboxes at the bottom of the play sound command. One of the checkboxes say something like "wait until playback finishes before continuing to next command." You will want to make sure you check that checkbox. What that does is make sure that the sound bite you're playing finishes completely before it allows the next one to start. If you don't have that option checked, you could have Midnight talking all over himself when you execute multiple commands one after the other.

sintara

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 04:34:01 AM »
When you select a pre-recorded response to playback, there are some checkboxes at the bottom of the play sound command. One of the checkboxes say something like "wait until playback finishes before continuing to next command." You will want to make sure you check that checkbox. What that does is make sure that the sound bite you're playing finishes completely before it allows the next one to start. If you don't have that option checked, you could have Midnight talking all over himself when you execute multiple commands one after the other.
the one where he dont understand and double talking if i have Force Legacy  it seems to work better but i lose the other stuff  and he cant hear himself as i put on a headset to try it that way  ???

ralf44

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 10:47:38 AM »
... there are some checkboxes at the bottom of the play sound command. One of the checkboxes say something like "wait until playback finishes before continuing to next command."

Yes, the problem is that these are not user-made commands, the HCS Midnight Voice Pack is set up not to wait and there are hundreds of commands to go through.

"the one where he dont understand "

Maybe you should get specific. Tell us a command that he doesn't understand and screenshot Voice Attack's recognition window so we can see what it is hearing when you say that command.

sintara

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
... there are some checkboxes at the bottom of the play sound command. One of the checkboxes say something like "wait until playback finishes before continuing to next command."

Yes, the problem is that these are not user-made commands, the HCS Midnight Voice Pack is set up not to wait and there are hundreds of commands to go through.

"the one where he dont understand "

Maybe you should get specific. Tell us a command that he doesn't understand and screenshot Voice Attack's recognition window so we can see what it is hearing when you say that command.
how do i get va to display ontop of game window so i can do that mate? so i have just been trying out different words in the list some have no audio and others like chaff he just cant get  so i dont know what i dont wrong as the vid i watched was fine i cant even get him to jump the ship i know it has to be me being dumb here funny thing is i can mod the hell out of skyrim with no problems but i think tom baker hates me lol lol lol 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:05:59 PM by sintara »

ralf44

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
"how do i get va to display ontop of game window"

Does Alt-Tab work? Otherwise try it without Elite running so you can see what is happening in Voice Attack.

sintara

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »
"how do i get va to display ontop of game window"

Does Alt-Tab work? Otherwise try it without Elite running so you can see what is happening in Voice Attack.
ok sorry for long delay but im a fall time carer for my sister so sometimes i get days where i cant get time for the pc

ok so im now convinced i have this set up wrong im not getting the interaction i have seen  in the video and also when i say landing gear i get midnight then i get the ships AI as well saying same thing he dose not understand chaff at all

sintara

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
well iv tried everything i can think of spent hours on the web looking up stuff   i asked for constellation kaylem i get pavo

it seems that mine is someway broken i dont know what i did