Author Topic: Setting microphone input  (Read 13579 times)

Fenestrate

Setting microphone input
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:57:17 AM »
Saw this topic in the FAQ group. Thread is locked but I wanted to add:
Admin at HCS turned me on to this free app,  Audio Switcher. It lets you set up an icon in your yuor taskbar that you can just click to switch default audio devices. I've found it really handy.
Just Google 'Audio Switcher'

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Setting microphone input
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:14:56 PM »
That's actually a fantastic, free app.

I'm working on adding some stuff to VA to allow for something similar.  Just need to figure out where to put it o_O

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:59:15 AM »
Glad to know that you found it useful.

One thing that you can do is set some input/output hotkeys accordingly in the Audio Switcher app, and then use Voice Attack to swap audio input/output via a spoken command.....

Fenestrate

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
Wow! That sounds way cool. Thanks, I'm definately going to give that a try.  :D

One other thing I'm going to do. I'll be picking up a Snowball Ice and the best headphones I can afford on my budget. The boom mic is driving me crazy and I suspect it's not all that good either. I figure if all sound is going through the headset, why not spring for a good cardiod mic.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:02:43 AM by Fenestrate »

BlackJack

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »
In the mean time, you can try "nircmd" to change your audio devices by a command in voice attack.
I use it to change the volume or switch from speaker to headset.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
I'm thinking if I put in the ability to switch the default mic/speakers to also make it an action (as well as have it change devices on start).  So, you could just say stuff like, 'change to speakers'.  Would that even be useful?  *I* would use that... not sure if that's something somebody would make a command out of.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »
In the mean time, you can try "nircmd" to change your audio devices by a command in voice attack.
I use it to change the volume or switch from speaker to headset.

If you have a media keyboard, you can actually use the play/pause next track/previous track and volume up/down buttons in profiles as well.

Because my keyboard has these, I just created voice commands to do those actions.

Fenestrate

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »
I would use the change to speakers voice command.

A thing I do is to add "VA" before all non-game commaands. Like "VA, open calculator". So if I could say "VA, change to speakers" I'd definately be using that.  "VA mute" would be nice for when the phone rings.....

BlackJack

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
*I* would use that... not sure if that's something somebody would make a command out of.

Hi Gary,

I've uploaded  a profile, you may find useful. Look at the profiles section.
It can change the default sound device, the default microphone and the volume in 1% steps.
That is the right point, to ask for a {VOLUME} token, I think.  ;)

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
Thank you for that!

I'll check it out.

Fenestrate

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:16:41 AM »
Just checking back in....

I got the fancy mic. I'm not making a sales plug so I'll leave it at that except to say that it is a cardioid mic. What that means is that, to a greater or lesser degree, it only pics up sounds directly in front of the mic. I also picked up some rather good headsets.

I ran an audio recxording app and what I found was this: I could record my voice while streaming an online radio station at pretty high volume and only heard my voice. I was impressed since I have the mic set about six inches in front of my left speaker. Even so I had some problems with the windows speech engine. Apparently I had to retrain it to use with the new mic. It's aall good now.

Now I'm left with a set of headphones gathering dust. They're really nice too and very comfortable. Unfortunately they are over the ear and make my voice sound funny to me when wearing them. Cup your hands over your ears and say something out loud and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

Bottom line, I can use voice attack and listen to the program plus a tv show or radio station all at the same time with no problem.

I love this program. Frankly I'm surprised not more gamers use it (or anyone else for that matter). I'll probably get into an MMORPG again before the year is out. Most likely WoW, LotRO or TSW. I'm sure it'll be a big help in whichever game I go with. Right now using it with Elite Dangerous.

Well, like I said, just an FYI update.