Author Topic: Joystick Lockup  (Read 4576 times)

terrydew

Joystick Lockup
« on: November 14, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
I had to plug my joysticks into different ports and after doing so VA would no longer recognize button pushes. I tried removing the sticks in the options tab and restarting VA then adding the sticks back but no luck. I had to do this twice today and the first time I uninstalled VA and reinstalled and it worked. The second time I deleted the user config file in app data and restarted VA and it worked. So when a stick is deleted something in the config file is not being cleared or reset.

Terry

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Joystick Lockup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 03:46:15 PM »
Did you ever unassign the joysticks and then reassign them?

I plan to make it where there will be a little more detection when things change, however right now when something changes you have to unassign your sticks and then reassign/enable them (even when you update Windows).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:02:58 PM by Gary »

terrydew

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »
Did you ever unassign the joysticks and then reassign them?

I plan to make it where there will be a little more detection when things change, however right now when something changes you have to unassign your sticks and then reassign/enable them (even when you update Windows).

Yes I did unassign and reassign them in fact more than once. The only way to recover was a total reinstall or delete the cfg file.

If you are going to work in the joystick area please consider a plea for more joysticks.

Thanks
Terry

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:59:08 PM »
It's still whiteboarded to add n joysticks o_O

terrydew

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
As an up date to original post. On my win 7 machine which had no changes to USB port assignments, the joystick button assigned to the global listening function still works even though the same button is not recognized in the test function on the enable joystick page. I am now on my win 7 machine and have tried unassign reassign, unassign then assign new joystick (which works) then unassign that and reassign to original joystick and still not working.
Joysticks are almost no usable as is?

Terry

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
I'll take a look at this in a bit when I get back to my desk.  The joystick code has been unchanged for a while, though.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 08:57:24 PM »
I'm not able to reproduce this with an XBox One controller.  I was able to assign the controller, enable the controller and then test the controller.   I added a command and verified it was working.  I then proceeded to pull the controller from each port and connect to a total of 3 usb ports.  Each time the controller was picked up and the command was executed on button press.  I then tried closing VA, moving the controller and starting VA, as well as unplugging while VA was turned off and the controller was plugged into a different port after VA was started.  Everything seems to pick up where it left off.  So, I'm having a hard time reproducing the problem, although I *am* using a Microsoft-branded gamepad (and not an X-55).

Have you tried updating your drivers?

Also, anybody else out there with an X-55 experiencing similar symptoms?

I'm going to make joystick identification a little more forgivable when the identifiers assigned by Windows change.

terrydew

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »
I'm not able to reproduce this with an XBox One controller.  I was able to assign the controller, enable the controller and then test the controller.   I added a command and verified it was working.  I then proceeded to pull the controller from each port and connect to a total of 3 usb ports.  Each time the controller was picked up and the command was executed on button press.  I then tried closing VA, moving the controller and starting VA, as well as unplugging while VA was turned off and the controller was plugged into a different port after VA was started.  Everything seems to pick up where it left off.  So, I'm having a hard time reproducing the problem, although I *am* using a Microsoft-branded gamepad (and not an X-55).

Have you tried updating your drivers?

Also, anybody else out there with an X-55 experiencing similar symptoms?

I'm going to make joystick identification a little more forgivable when the identifiers assigned by Windows change.

Yes I had reinstalled the latest drivers. I am using Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle. I finally got it working and programmed buttons all afternoon with no further problems. I will try to recreate the issue after a beta with the improvement is out.

Thanks for your effort and help.

Terry