Author Topic: One Profile or Many? Performance issues?  (Read 4895 times)

scj

One Profile or Many? Performance issues?
« on: November 14, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
Hi!

I am relatively new to the Voice Attack universe, but I am quick study and am off and running.

I am creating a profile (for Star Citizen, but that isn't overly important about my question) and want to know what is the best way to handle multiple "modes".

As an example, I've studied a "profile suite" (I guess that is a good term) where VA starts up in one profile and then switches to another depending on what the user is doing (such as entering a ship).

The profile I am building uses variables and states to determine what mode the profile should be in and then conditionals in the commands to determine whether they should run.

Will my method affect performance?

And thanks for a great profram and support community.

Will

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: One Profile or Many? Performance issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
The main benefit of using multiple profiles is having fewer options for the speech engine to check against.

If you have many (derived)commands, the speech engine will have to compare what you've said to more data, which can potentially slow down the process of executing a command. However, the point at which this becomes perceptible will depend on the performance of your machine.

It should be noted that variables do carry over between profiles; If you set something in one, it will be accessible in the other, and vice-versa. Only when VoiceAttack is closed is the data "lost"(Unless you save variables to a profile, of course).

In my personal opinion, it's easier to maintain a single profile, though if you foresee having thousands of command phrases, you may want to design it as multiple profiles, to avoid having to split them up later.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
Re: One Profile or Many? Performance issues?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »
In my personal opinion, it's easier to maintain a single profile, though if you foresee having thousands of command phrases, you may want to design it as multiple profiles, to avoid having to split them up later.

Unlike me who does the whole chain of includes (but that is so that a wide range of profiles can have a common set of "core" commands)