Author Topic: Voiceattack works poorly in combat  (Read 565 times)

charlotteliuok

Voiceattack works poorly in combat
« on: September 17, 2024, 09:23:52 AM »
Recently I'm using Voiceattac to perform vocal magic in my playthrough of Wukong. Out of combat, voiceattack works fine. It recognize most of my words. But it hardly work when the combat starts. Is it because there are other sound effects during combat? It doesn't work even if I turn the system volumn down to 10%.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voiceattack works poorly in combat
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 09:26:37 AM »
Are you using a headset with a built-in microphone?

If you're using speakers instead, E.G. with a desktop microphone, every single sound produced through them is liable to get picked up by the microphone, and interfere with accurate speech recognition.
That is not specific to VoiceAttack.

If you are using a headset, and audio being played back affects recognition, you have crosstalk somewhere, I.E. the signal to your headphones is getting into the signal from your microphone.

charlotteliuok

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 08:00:35 PM »
I am playing Wukong in VR mode. I'm speak to voiceattack via my quest 3 headset. I've suspected whether voiceattack would pick up the sound played through my headset, so I have muted the headset. The system sound is played through 5.1 speakers, the volumn of which has beenn set to 10%. When I'm out of combat, voiceattack works perfectly. But it stopped working when I'm engaged in combat. I don't know what else I can do to reduce the noise that would have affected voiceattack. I can't mute the system sound for good.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2024, 12:44:54 AM »
The microphone in the Quest 3 VR headset is, unfortunately, notoriously poorly suited to speech recognition, in part because it has filtering that cannot be turned off.

Playing audio through speakers is, as mentioned, going to cause issues regardless.

Using an external microphone, combined with headphones or earbuds, rather than the Quest 3's integrated microphone and speakers, would likely yield much better results.

charlotteliuok

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2024, 02:04:22 AM »
I'll try a bluetooth earphone and microphone to see if the speech recognition would be better.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2024, 02:09:41 AM »
Bluetooth devices generally aren't recommended, as the majority of them doesn't support an operating mode in which high-quality audio can be played back and simultaneously recorded.

Most devices only support high-quality(ish) playback (without recording), or low quality playback and recording (intended for phone calls) operating modes, which are normally switched between automatically on PC depending on whether the microphone is in use.

You can certainly try, in case your device does support it, but if you experience issues, that'd likely be the reason.