Author Topic: Audio override settings being ignored (solved: plugins don't use these settings)  (Read 223 times)

bojote

There is basic functionality broken right now, particularly, with the "Override Default Playback Device" and "Override Default Text-To-Speech Device". Not to be confused with the "Windows Speech Recording Device" set in the recognition tab (that one works great) I'm talking specifically about NON DEFAULT audio output in Voiceattack and the fact that the 'override' option (which is supposed to use a device OTHER than default) is not working.

How to replicate: This assumes you have BOTH Speakers and Headphones with a Mic.

Step 1 - (In windows) Set a default device, Speakers for example.
Step 2 - Set (in VoiceAttack) an override option so that, instead of using the above default device, VoiceAttack will use the one seletected from the list (Headphones for example)
Step 3 - Close voiceattack (restart your computer if you want)

Now, windows will start with the Speakers as the default device, however, remember, I set an 'override' in VoiceAttack to use my Headphones... but if I start voiceattack now, it will completely ignore the override and VoiceAttack will use the Wndows Default Device.

Please, lets focus on the OVERRIDE OPTIONS as I'm not talking about the "Set" Defaults and "Change Now" options in the same Audio tab. Those are NOT overrides, those are for permanent changes. Again, lets focus on the override options. If its broken, is there a hotfix I can download?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 12:14:23 AM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
VoiceAttack is very much actively developed, with code being added or changed pretty much daily.  The forums do not get as much love as of late, as most of the action happens over on Discord (https://voiceattack.com/discord).

I'm not at my PC at the moment, but I'll see if I can recreate your issue when I get back.  If I can recreate the problem, I'll have something to go by.  Note that this is the first time this particular issue has been reported, so, I may have more questions.

bojote

Thanks Gary, also keep in mind that the audio I'm expecting to hear in the device selected as an override are the effects I configure in a custom profile. I use Vaicom Pro (for DCS) and the mic clicks and static is always played in the device windows have selected as default, when the proper and expected behavior (if an override is selected) is to use that override. Appreciate that you can look into it. Thanks again!

Gary

• Administrator
 Looks like I was replying just as you were -

I am unable to reproduce the problem on my end. 

I have two playback devices: one is a pair of headphones, and the other is the speaker output on my laptop.

Without changing any options on the Options screen (brand new installation of VA on a new machine), I created a command that plays an mp3 with the 'Play a sound' action.  The output device for that action is set to default (which means it will output to whatever Windows has set up as your default playback device - in my case, that is the headphones).   If I execute this command, the audio comes out of my headphones.

I go into Options and then over to the Audio tab and set the Override Playback Device from 'Do not override' to my laptop speakers.  Click OK and then execute the command again - the audio comes out of my laptop speakers.  I go into Options and put the setting back to default, execute the command and the audio comes out of my headphones again.

I repeated the whole process, but this time changing the option for TTS.  Same results.

On your Audio tab, are you using 'Integrated Components'  as your 'Audio Output Type'?   If not, try changing to that.

bojote

I think I know what the problem might be... are plugins aware of the override options? that would explain why you can't replicate it as this is specific to having a plugin being the one playing the sounds

bojote

Problem fixed, like you said.. not a Voiceattack issue. Sorry for the trouble! In VAICOM there is an option to select the actual device for audio output. I was under the impression plugins relied on the info in VoiceAttack, including overrides.. clearly not the case. Have a good night!