Author Topic: Helldivers II - Mic works with VA but not with voice chat in game  (Read 555 times)

ADent

I have Voice Attack working in Helldivers 2 and it's great! But, ever since I switched to a new headset (PC38X), which is using "3.5 mm splitTRS connector" instead of the usb connector that my old headset had, it has stopped allowing me to also use voice chat in the game.

I closed the VA app, and then I could use voice chat in the game again. I just can't use both together apparently.

I've tried all the sound settings suggestions I've found so far, ensuring that both apps are using the correct mic device, and ensuring that the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" box is unchecked.

Anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Helldivers II - Mic works with VA but not with voice chat in game
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 01:00:01 AM »
Given the information you've provided, the headset itself should be irrelevant in this case, as it's fully analog.
Because the previous headset was a USB device, you're effectively using a different soundcard, I.E. the one built into your motherboard, rather than one built into a headset.

While VoiceAttack is not running, if you search the Windows Start menu for "Windows Speech Recognition", there should be an application with that name (verbatim) and an old-fashioned (not flat but pseudo-3D) microphone icon; if you start that application, does the same issue occur?

ADent

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:51 PM »
When I started the voice recording app (with VA already running and working), it took me through the mic configuration. When I read the sample text, it could barely pick it up apparently and gave me an error saying something about it having trouble picking up my voice. I read it again louder and it worked. Tried a few voice commands in Windows and it was generally working.

I'll have to give it another try in game this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion!

ADent

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 01:33:48 PM »
Tried in-game again, but still isn't working. I don't have any other multiplayer games with voice chat to test with, so not sure what else to try. Maybe have to try Helldivers support.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 01:27:14 PM »
Tried in-game again, but still isn't working. I don't have any other multiplayer games with voice chat to test with, so not sure what else to try. Maybe have to try Helldivers support.

It may be that some application is taking exclusive control over your recording device, and therefore not allowing other applications to make use of the device at the same time.  You can disable this for any/all of your Recording and Playback devices in the Sound menu of Windows.

Right-click on the VoiceAttack icon on the taskbar, and select "Recording Devices":

Next, select your recording device and click "Properties" ... select the "Advanced" tab along top, and then Un-check the box shown below to disable exclusive control - repeat this for each recording and playback device you use:

Once this is done, you need to Restart Windows so that any applications holding control over any devices are released, and can start over with these new rules.  DO NOT choose the option to "Shut Down" and then press the power button to start up ... you want to specifically choose the power option to "Restart" otherwise the Windows OS will merely enter a hybridized sleep and then wake from it without changing anything.

Please let us know if this works, and if not, there may be other things to look into or try.