Author Topic: Joystick buttons not being recognized immediately  (Read 1836 times)

supersparky

Joystick buttons not being recognized immediately
« on: September 12, 2023, 05:17:54 PM »
I have some of my flight sim hardware configured as a Joystick so that I can use buttons on the device to modify commands (e.g. stop radio commands unless radio button is pressed). This worked fine on previous devices, but it seems to be running into issues on my VKB STECS. When I first start up the application or the joystick test in the software, there's a long delay before any button presses on the device are recognized. Eventually, it starts recognizing button presses, but upon restarting the software or the test, there's another long delay before buttons are recognized again. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is or how to debug it.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Joystick buttons not being recognized immediately
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 05:31:54 PM »
Have you checked whether the same delay occurs in the Windows Game Controllers (joy.cpl) control panel applet?

I.E. while you have the properties for that device open, do the various button indicators light up immediately when you press them, including just after you've started VoiceAttack?

Are any of that device's inputs held down, E.G. by toggle or mode switches?

Just to make sure: the delay also applies to executing VoiceAttack commands assigned to said device using the "When I press button" option?

supersparky

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 09:55:05 PM »
Have you checked whether the same delay occurs in the Windows Game Controllers (joy.cpl) control panel applet?

I.E. while you have the properties for that device open, do the various button indicators light up immediately when you press them, including just after you've started VoiceAttack?

Are any of that device's inputs held down, E.G. by toggle or mode switches?

Just to make sure: the delay also applies to executing VoiceAttack commands assigned to said device using the "When I press button" option?

I checked the test page on Windows joy.cpl, both with VoiceAttack off and on, and button test indicators would light up immediately in joy.cpl, while VoiceAttack wasn't detect anything until it'd been running for a bit. I noticed the same delay when using commands triggered by "When I press button."

There is a mode selector that, by default, holds down a button, which I originally thought was the issue. However, I've configured the device to only pulse the button instead of holding it down for the mode select, and I still encountered the same problem even with that.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 10:49:54 PM »
Have you tried simply rebooting (not shutting down, but doing an actual restart)?  I know that sounds ultra-simplistic, but sometimes that's all it takes.

I would also do a system scan (which is good to do from time to time, even if you are not experiencing issues):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Make sure to do both the DISM and SFC steps.

Hope some of that helps!