Author Topic: How to incorporate "radial/pie/circular menus" into VA commands?  (Read 1699 times)

tonto1992

Hello all!
I would like to try to figure out how to incorporate "wheel menus".

As an example, if I hold down a specific key, I'll get a "wheel menu" for various options, and from there you can use the mouse (or controller) to pick the one you wish to use.  So if I wanted to do the option that is straight "up", I would hold down the key until the menu showed, move the mouse straight up for a small distance until highlighted, and either press the left-mouse, or just release the key once it's highlighted, and it'll do the correct whistle.

** VARIABLES **
Some more variables I'm unsure about.  How long you hold down the specified key in terms of macros, and while it's being held down, trying to figure out which option I choose.  The menu will continue to show as long as it takes to select an option (like mentioned either a mouse-click or just releasing the key once the selection is highlighted).

Also, to select an option, I can either move the mouse in the general direction of the selection I want (either straight up, angled up a certain degrees, straight right, etc (depending on the amount of options), OR I can move the mouse in a direction, and then move it in a circular direction to choose another option.  Ideally I'd like to choose a way (if possible) to have the mouse move a certain angle and distance to make sure it gets correctly highlighted.  Is this possible??

Possible usage
So, if possible, I'm thinking the macro would need to hold down the specified key while moving the mouse (or controller) in a cardinal direction for a small distance, and then releasing the key.  So some other possible unknowns are how long to hold each down so that they register with the game, and properly performing the command.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
Re: How to incorporate "radial/pie/circular menus" into VA commands?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 11:08:57 AM »
You mentioned the word "whistles" ... is this for ARK Survival Evolved?  If not, what game is this for?

The reason I ask is that simplicity is best, and knowing the end goal can help determine the path forward based on what you asked.  A radial menu profile for just that game may be easier than a generic radial menu profile for any game.  The specifics of each available option and their position is key, though most all radial menus allow for choice by mouse hover and release of the radial menu button as well as clicking on the menu item to close the menu and enact that action.

tonto1992

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 08:24:27 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I was told not to mention a game name, in case it could be considered an exploit by a TOS.

I also meant to remove that term 'whistle' but missed it in my edits.

So can I just say that it would certainly be useful in a game such as that, and an example using that game might help point me in the right direction?   :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 08:33:47 PM »
I was told not to mention a game name, in case it could be considered an exploit by a TOS.
That is not an accurate characterization.

You mentioned a specific game in your original topic, which when I pointed out that it would be against the ToS of that game to use applications like VoiceAttack without express permissions from the authors of the game, you deleted (though not before posting a snide reply), and posted this one instead.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 11:29:32 AM »
Thank you for your reply.  I was told not to mention a game name, in case it could be considered an exploit by a TOS.

I also meant to remove that term 'whistle' but missed it in my edits.

So can I just say that it would certainly be useful in a game such as that, and an example using that game might help point me in the right direction?   :)

Yeah, I won't be providing any examples to help you violate the ToS of any games.  This could potentially get your account banned in that game, and jeopardize the future of VoiceAttack itself.  We take the continued existence of VoiceAttack seriously, and never want to find our favorite voice control software preemptively blocked by games as a cheating device of some kind.  If you also love VoiceAttack, you too should value its status as an assistive application and avoid allowing it to get frowned upon by the developers of the games we love to play using VoiceAttack.

tonto1992

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 04:20:09 PM »
Yes of course I agree, but simply using VA to do something as benign as repeating a mouse click, etc.

I'm merely looking to understand how to do it, not for any one specific game, per se.  But that could be applied to any other number of applications and games, etc.  Why is asking for help with the variables and syntax for one type of input any different than another type? 

I just want to know how one might send those types of commands, like a "these are the variables used" sort of way, and maybe a very simple syntax example?

I can fudge through the rest.  I'm no programmer but I can certainly play with various variables on my own, I was just hoping for a pointer or just syntax help or something.  I'm not asking anyone to help me break any TOS that a repeating key stroke or mouse click would do as well. 

Please.  I just want to role play sometimes, and it'd be cool if I could parse together something so that as I call it out, it happens in real time.  That's all.  If it's a big deal I'll either just try to figure it out somehow or give the idea up altogether.  It's no biggie.  Just a teensy pointer?