Author Topic: "Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" stops working  (Read 1517 times)

mcb

"Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" stops working after a while. Commands execute way more slower and choppy even if I have this setting enabled after a brief moment when I have a game in the foreground.

I can help it become quick and snappy again by switching VA-profile with hotkey, but it becomes choppy after like 30 seconds again. Goes for both keyboard input- and mouse input commands.

This became a problem after I upgraded from Win10 to Win11 (custom performance ISO). I've set CPU-priority to both "high" and "realtime", but without luck. I also halved my timer resolution without any changes to the issue. I've tried running games in fullscreen and borderless without any changes. I've played with exec options like "disable fullscreen optimization" and "run as admin" with both VoiceAttack and games, no changes.

I feel as if my Win11 notices that I have a game in the foreground that it will become prioritized over all else, thereby throttling VoiceAttack even with "Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" enabled.

Are there any workarounds for this or do I have to reinstall the original Win11 with all the bloat?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: "Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" stops working
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »
"Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" was put in place due to timer resolution changes in Win 10+, and was only provided so that if automatically adjusting the timer resolution messed with your command timing, you could turn it off temporarily.  This is an app setting through a Windows API call, and shouldn't be temporary (that is, turning itself off).  I haven't received any other reports of this, so it makes me think there is an issue with your setup.  I don't know what your commands look like, or what plugins you may be running, but I would look there first.  I would then take a look at your speech engine - if you've upgraded to Windows 11, it's possible that your speech profile could be going pear-shaped.  You'll want to take a look at this thread - ignore the title:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

That one is a longshot, but has weirdly solved many issues over the years.

Hope that helps!

mcb

Re: "Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" stops working
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 08:33:26 PM »
Thank you for super quick reply, I did what you suggested for good measure.

Okay, so temporary fix I found out:
1. Unticking "Disable fullscreen optimizations" for VoiceAttack.exe (for anyone else reading this, this setting should already be unticked by default).

2. launch VoiceAttack like normal.
3. Never run another fullscreen application in addition. For example, I'll watch a YouTube video on my other monitor while I play games, I always make sure it's not in fullscreen (YouTube cinema mode instead).
3.1. Whenever I have to edit commands in VoiceAttack, I always relaunch it after finished editing. If choppy commands still persists, I'll just relaunch it and not touch stuff and it shouldn't be a problem for the rest of my session.

I'll find and update this thread if I ever stumble upon a permanent fix ;D