Author Topic: Hi, I have questions  (Read 1573 times)

DystrophyDynamo

Hi, I have questions
« on: March 18, 2023, 12:57:16 PM »
Hi there, im new to the forum so i'll introduce myself a little. I'm a duchenne muscular dystrophy sufferer and have extreme muscle weakness and limited movement. I've been a gamer pretty much all my life but mainly only games that are simple to operate (point and click etc) in recent times due to the progressive nature of my condition.

I recently came across VoiceAttack and have some questions for people far more knowledgeable about it than myself.

Is it possible to control the whole entirety of a game via just voice commands with VoiceAttack or is it recommended to use with other software and equipment?

Also has anyone ever created a profile for any of the WWE 2K games?

Thank you in advance for any advice I may receive. It is very much appreciated. :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Hi, I have questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 05:14:51 PM »
VoiceAttack can be used to perform keyboard and mouse input, which could in theory be used for all controls a game that supports such input requires.

Whether that is entirely practical may be a different matter.

There are two main limitations, which are not specific to VoiceAttack itself:

Speech recognition in general will have more of a delay than more direct input methods like mouse and keyboard.
Especially the latter, being largely a matter of an electrical contact closing, can be extremely fast.
Recognizing speech requires both more time from the user, to actually produce the sounds that form a given input, and time from the speech recognition system, to interpret those sounds and match them to possible phrases.

Commands that need to be recognized as quickly as possible, can within VoiceAttack have their "Recognition" option set to "Continuous Speech" or "Restricted Continuous Speech", which essentially instructs the speech recognition system to consider a phrase recognized as soon as there is enough information to make a match, rather than waiting for additional input.
This does mean that commands configured in this manner need to have distinct, unique phrases, that aren't part of other phrases (E.G. if you have a command with the phrase "do a thing", and another command with the phrase "do a thing differently", the latter is unlikely to ever be recognized, as the former would be recognized instead)

Regardless of that setting, the speech recognition system requires a momentary silence before a new recognition attempt can occur.
E.G. if you have a command "do a thing", and a command "do another thing", you'd need to speak "do a thing", wait a beat, and then speak "do another thing", rather than "do a thing do another thing" as one phrase.

Secondly, the mouse as an input device is intended for hand-eye coordination, meaning rather than moving a fixed distance for a given result, constant adjustment to movement distance and speed may be required for certain input (E.G. tracking a target)
Applications like VoiceAttack can move the mouse cursor in a given direction at a given speed, however making adjustments to those parameters on-the-fly can never match the speed of a physical mouse, especially with speech recognition.

VoiceAttack has a demo version available, either from the website or Steam, so you could potentially try it for yourself.