Author Topic: Question, is there a way to have VA remove ; [ ] from reading text?  (Read 1213 times)

iceblast

Question, is there a way to have VA remove ; [ ], and any other things that cause it to ignore other text from being reading text?

Example

Just copy the above sentence, and have VA read it back, it will stop at ; or [, or ].

Is there a way to remove those characters that VA can't process, before feeding it to the reader???

Reason being, I have it setup, that I can click on a comment on youtube, or elsewhere, and all the text will be highlighted, then I can just hit the Read Button, and VA will read the text for me, and 6x the speed, allowing me to read tons of comments quickly.

The problem comes, when someone using a character that VA can't process. Which can be a bit annoying, when you were listening to a big comment, and it stops mid way, or skips a ton of text, and only reads what's after.

I can use AHK to remove the characters, but that adds a delay, and I was wondering if there was a solution built into VA that could do it, and do it faster?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Question, is there a way to have VA remove ; [ ] from reading text?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 07:08:18 AM »
The "Set a Text Value" action's "Replace with" option can be used to remove those characters (one at a time) by leaving the "with" field blank.

Though, square brackets shouldn't cause the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action to stop (and without a semicolon it'll be treated as a dynamic response section that only has one possible response), so you might want to try just removing the semicolon

iceblast

Re: Question, is there a way to have VA remove ; [ ] from reading text?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 07:24:12 PM »
Jeez, I had done that many times, and it didn't work. Then I come here, and ask the question, how to do this, and you tell me to do it, the same way I was doing it, and I'm like, I've done that already, and then go and try it again, and then it works...... I can't say how many times this has happened, but this is getting ridiculous. smh

Also, for some reason the brackets seemed to be doing it as well, and now they aren't. It's like you spoken the solution into Existence, and they universe had to do what you said or something... smh