Author Topic: Restoring profiles from backup .dat file?  (Read 953 times)

elprez

Restoring profiles from backup .dat file?
« on: December 11, 2022, 08:36:10 AM »
Hi friends! I recently wiped my Windows 10 PC and started from scratch. I have several backups for voice attack in .dat files. My problem is I do not want to restore all of my profiles and settings. I only want one .vap file out of the backup. Is it possible to do that?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Restoring profiles from backup .dat file?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 09:00:33 AM »
The profile database does not contain .vap files; .vap files are a serialized representation of data from the database.

The profile database does not contain general settings either (I.E. most of what can be configured using the VoiceAttack options window; that is stored in a separate file in a separate location).

What you can do is to temporarily put the old profile database back in place, export the profile you need, switch back to your new profile database (or have no database file and have VoiceAttack create a new one), and finally import the profile you exported:

Use the "Click here to browse VoiceAttack's data folder." link on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window to open the folder that contains the current profile database, then close VoiceAttack.

Move or delete (the latter would assume you're not intending to keep any changes you've made to the new database) VoiceAttack.dat and the "Backup" folder, then copy your backup of VoiceAttack.dat to the data folder and start VoiceAttack.
You should now have your previous profiles in the "Profile" dropdown, which can be exported by switching to them and clicking the icon next to the "Edit Profile" icon and choosing Export profile, or by pressing Alt-X

After exporting the profile, close VoiceAttack, remove the VoiceAttack.dat file, and either restore your previous files or leave the directory empty (VoiceAttack will create a new database file for you), start VoiceAttack, and finally import the profile you exported (using the same icon that was used for exporting, but choosing "Import Profile", or by pressing Alt-I).

elprez

Re: Restoring profiles from backup .dat file?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 09:26:12 AM »
Worked perfectly. Thanks!