Author Topic: Dictation apparently not starting  (Read 4707 times)

ovadex

Dictation apparently not starting
« on: September 05, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »
I've been having some issues getting dictation working.  Commands are recognized fine and other than taking dictation input it works perfectly.

I made this command to test it.

Say, 'begin'
Start Dictation Mode (Clearing Dictation Buffer)
Pause 5 seconds
Stop Dictation Mode
Set Windows clipboard to '{DICTATION}'
Press Left Ctrl+V keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Say, 'complete'

I've tested it replacing the dictation token with plain text and it is pasted properly. Dictation doesn't seem to pick up listening though. The log only shows as follows when I try it.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome. I get no warnings about programs that may interfere on startup but maybe there are problem programs that it doesn't check for that someone out there knows about.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Dictation apparently not starting
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:02:38 PM »
Seems like it should work.  Would you be willing to export and upload your profile (with just the necessary commands) to this thread?  Maybe there's something amiss, as dictation should be up and running unless you get a warning that says it's not.

ovadex

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »
That's what I was thinking. Everything seems fine but I get no result.

Here's the profile with just the command in question.

http://pastebin.com/2qtj87FH

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
I loaded up the profile and tried it out.  I opened up and focused Notepad.  Then, I started the command, said, 'hello' and waited for the command to complete.  'hello' was typed out in Notepad.  I noticed that, 'Allow other commands to execute while this one is running' was turned off.  It worked either way for me, but you may want to try checking that option to see if it changes anything for you.

ovadex

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:24:13 PM »
Toggled that on to no effect. This is the first time I've had trouble getting something to work in VA. Not sure what to check next...

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »
Have you tried just using dictation broken out over several commands and checking the values?  Also, do you have any type of command set in the, 'execute a command each time a dictation phrase is recognized' box (on the profile options screen)?
Very strange, as I said earlier that the dictation services should be on and running unless you get a warning in the log that says otherwise.  The command runs great here, too.

ovadex

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 11:28:19 PM »
I did try one thing. I split the command in half, a start dictation command and an end dictation command. When I issue the start dictation command twice I get a message saying, "Dictation mode already started". I also reset my options in case there was something in there messing with it.

I set the "execute a command each time a dictation phrase is recognized" option to my positive response command (it says random variations of "yes") and it never triggered while testing the dictation command.

So it looks like dictation is starting, but not setting the variable to whatever it may have heard.