Author Topic: No Speech Recognition (Again)  (Read 4905 times)

wfrayer

No Speech Recognition (Again)
« on: August 20, 2022, 01:25:47 PM »
Ok, my computer decided not to recognize VoiceAttack again. Don't know what happened. I did lose my drive that stored the MSFS stuff, but I have it all (mostly) back and have downloaded and installed VoiceAttack and My Capt. Anderson Voice. No Joy, The computer does not hear the commands even though the mic is set and everything looks good. I am attaching screenshots of my settings so someone might be able to see what I don't see. I'm sorry to bother with such a trivial item.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: No Speech Recognition (Again)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 01:29:58 PM »
Does the bar at the bottom of VoiceAttack's main window move at all when you speak?

Is there a red microphone icon in the top right-hand corner?

Especially if so, have you checked to make sure your microphone isn't muted?

wfrayer

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 06:41:32 AM »
No, the bar is not active. And, no, there is no red Mic icon. It looks like it should hear me, but it is not.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 06:46:46 AM »
If you open the Sound page of the Windows Settings app (as shown in your second screenshot), does that bar (under "Test your microphone") move when you speak?

wfrayer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 06:50:15 AM »
No, but, now today, the red mic is back. Which I assume means it does not connect to the microphone on the headset.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 06:51:57 AM »
Did you check whether your microphone('s recording device) is muted?

wfrayer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 07:03:11 AM »
No, but I am using the mic on my HP Reverb G2 headset. I don't believe there is a software switch for the mic. There is no hardware switch.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 07:08:47 AM »
Hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click the wrench icon on VoiceAttack's main window, after releasing the Ctrl key, double-click on the recording device for your microphone, and on the "Levels" tab make sure the speaker icon next to the volume slider doesn't have a red icon next to it (it should have two sound waves next to it instead).

wfrayer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 07:19:49 AM »
OK, so now the red mic disappeared and the mic is alive. How did that change? I am mystified. Again, thanks for your help. I really don't know how these things keep changing.

wfrayer

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 07:34:45 AM »
Well, everything is back, but now I get an echo of what I say.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 07:35:44 AM »
Normally it shouldn't stay muted, but when the Windows default multimedia recording device changes (which would likely happen when you start using your VR headset, E.G. by running Steam VR), VoiceAttack mutes both the device that was the default, and the device that has become the default, momentarily, before changing the device the speech recognition system is listening to.

Muting the previous default device is necessary due to a quirk of the speech recognition system, where if it's still performing recognition (which can occur as long as there is input, including line or background noise), it cannot be shut down.

However, this is only supposed to last for a few seconds, after which both devices are instructed to unmute again.

Another user also reported having their G2 VR headset, specifically, remaining muted, though in their case it appeared the latest VoiceAttack version no longer exhibited that behavior.
It may be that the manner in which the headset is initialized causes the unmute instruction to (perhaps sporadically) get ignored somehow

I've passed this along to the developer.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 07:37:04 AM »
Well, everything is back, but now I get an echo of what I say.

Hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click the wrench icon on VoiceAttack's main window, after releasing the Ctrl key, double-click on the recording device for your microphone, and on the "Listen" tab make sure the "Listen to this device" option is disabled (unchecked)

(that is not an option VoiceAttack changes)

wfrayer

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 07:45:58 AM »
Arghh, too many trees that I couldn't see the forest! Thanks from a dummy!