Author Topic: Installing VoiceAttack 64-bit over 32-bit version, with several HCS VoicePacks  (Read 2004 times)

TSForrest

I have been using the 32-bit version of VoiceAttack with several HCS VoicePacks, and I have enjoyed it, thoroughly.  I have been getting prompts to install the newer, 64-bit version of VoiceAttack, every time I launch it.  I was wondering if it was a simple case of installing the 64-bit version over top the existing 32-bit install folder.  Should that still allow the HCS VoicePacks to continue working correctly?  I don't mind if there might be a need for some setting changes in the 64-bit version, after the update to the new 64-bit version.  I just don't want to lose what I have, and it is a fairly complicated process to back up and properly restore my existing VoiceAttack install with the HCS VoicePacks, voice triggers, profiles, etc.  It seems there is a lot to back up, in addition to just making copies of the install folders.

So, before I install the 64-bit version to the current folder for the 32-bit install, I wanted to make sure that I am doing this in a way that *should* result in VoiceAttack and my HCS Voicepacks continuing to function, after it is done.

I have made TONS of updates to my triggers used in the HCS VoicePacks, so I really don't want to lose all that, because I went about this in the wrong way.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help! :)
-TSForrest

Gary

• Administrator
Heya, TSForrest -

I'm pretty sure that it should just be as simple as overwriting the current installation, as that's what folks have been doing so far.  I would download the 32-bit version (https://voiceattack.com/downloads) to keep handy in case you would want to roll back.  If that still seems risky, you might want to bounce this off of the HCS folks first. 

Hope that helps!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
When updating VoiceAttack, you'll want to make sure your third-party addons, like those from HCS Voice Packs, are up-to-date, so that if there are different files required for 64-bit compatibility, those are present.

HCS Voice Packs can be contacted directly via their forum, or their Discord.

TSForrest

Heya, TSForrest -

I'm pretty sure that it should just be as simple as overwriting the current installation, as that's what folks have been doing so far.  I would download the 32-bit version (https://voiceattack.com/downloads) to keep handy in case you would want to roll back.  If that still seems risky, you might want to bounce this off of the HCS folks first. 

Hope that helps!

When updating VoiceAttack, you'll want to make sure your third-party addons, like those from HCS Voice Packs, are up-to-date, so that if there are different files required for 64-bit compatibility, those are present.

HCS Voice Packs can be contacted directly via their forum, or their Discord.

Thank you both so much for you feedback!  Now, I am confident about how I should proceed, and how I can safeguard myself, just in case the HCS VoicePacks have any issues with the switch to the 64-bit version!

You advice was tremendously appreciated!

After I have used the HCS Voicepacks with the 64-bit overwrite of my longtime 32-bit install, for enough time to get a feel for how well everything in working, I will come back here and post my results.  Maybe that might help the next person in a similar situation, feel more confident about their course of action.