Author Topic: How to add word combinations without typing them one by one?  (Read 1680 times)

Zuperbe

Hello,

I was wondering how to add word combinations without typing them one by one?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone, I am an orchestrator, based in Montpellier, France.
And I mainly use Dorico to orchestrate (Steinberg notation software).

VoiceAttack is the tool I mainly use in my workflow, it's the most intuitive way to use this kind of software (in my experience). And VA is so powerful that it makes all my work easy and comfortable, and therefore more focused.

I am also visually impaired and VoiceAttack allows me to use tons of macros without having to use a StreamDeck & Co, which are really inconvenient for me. I can't see anything on it...
And it allows me to adapt any software to my needs and comfort.
So thanks for that!

But I have several problems...

First of all, you have to know that in Dorico you enter the notes on the keyboard with the keys that correspond to the note (C = C, E = E...)

My first problem is the entry of the note itself.
For example, I want to enter a sequence of 4 notes (C, C, D, F).
So I enter the 7 basic notes (C, D, E, F, G, A, B) in VoiceAttack, then I dictate it in Dorico.
Except that I have to say with a pause between each note.
It's nice, but not fluid. And as you can imagine, speed is the key in this kind of work.

So to solve this problem, I decided to enter in VoiceAttack all the combinations of these 7 notes but by groups of two (CC, CD, CE...), which gives me 49 possible combinations.
And it was very good, it makes the process more fluid, but not too much.

So I decided again to enter these 7 notes but by 3 (CCC, CCD, CCE...), which gives me 343 possible combinations. It was long, even if the duplicate saved me a lot of time.

And here's where I'm stuck, I think you're starting to understand the pattern.
If I want to increase the sequence of notes by 4, 5, or 6, to gain dictation fluidity, I obviously end up with crazy combination possibilities.

But there is more!
In fact, there are even more notes (C♮ , C#, C♭...), which makes the combinations even crazier!

I also created macros with the note and value to make it even more fluid
("Quarter C" = Key 6 + Key C), ("Eighth F" = Key 5 + Key F)...
But with only one note, and if you want to increase the sequence ("16th FFCDG") the combinations are just...

I have other examples, but you get the idea.
So my question (finally!) is this: How can I solve these problems and improve the flow without spending 40 years typing one by one the different macro combinations I need.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my problems...
If I didn't make myself clear, feel free to ask me questions!
I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts on this topic!
Thanks again!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your answers!
I have a solution that works very well for me, and it is partly thanks to you guys! I was lost, I didn't know where to look for a solution, so thanks!
I was also helped by Firey Toad's video on youtube
YT Channel = https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVuoXngoczJQ2-0K5seWozw
The video in question = https://youtu.be/XSfYT3P1ksQ

And in attachment I put the screenshots of my macro.

It works really well and it's very fast!

Otherwise WOW guys ! This soft is so awesome and well thought out!
I'm really in love with this soft, it's become a real must-have for me!
You guys did a fantastic job!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:29:19 AM by Zuperbe »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How to add word combinations without typing them one by one?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:16:59 AM »
VoiceAttack can generate variations of phrases for you if you use dynamic command sections, as described in the documentation (press F1 while VoiceAttack has focus to open VoiceAttackHelp.pdf in your default PDF viewer).

E.G.
Code: [Select]
[C;D;E;F;G;A;B][C;D;E;F;G;A;B][C;D;E;F;G;A;B]would have generated all those variations you mentioned originally, though with spaces in-between (those can be removed using the "{TXTREPLACEVAR:}" token, for example).

However, regardless of whether you type them in manually or have VoiceAttack generate them for you, the speech recognition engine needs to be able to process all those variations and make a comparison between them and the speech input it was provided.

What you are describing would require tens if not hundreds of millions of phrases, which would slow down recognition significantly, or more likely crash the Microsoft Speech Recognition engine itself.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:19:37 PM »
Something to look at if the pause is too much is making your commands use the 'Restricted Continuous Speech' Recognition option.  You'll need to play around with it tho - for instance, if you have a command with a spoken phrase of 'C', you won't do too well with commands that start with 'C' ('C sharp', 'C natural', 'C flat') as the command would execute as soon as 'C' was heard.  You'd have to do something like 'sharp C', 'natural C', 'flat C'.  Here is a thread for reference/more info:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=3489.0

Hope that helps some!

Zuperbe

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 05:23:09 AM »
I have written a response in my initial post ⇈