Author Topic: Game Movement, WASD?  (Read 6444 times)

earthsprite

Game Movement, WASD?
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Hi there,

I searched the forum for 'movement,' 'moving,' and 'WASD' with no relevant results.

Is there a proper way to input game movement? I attempted "press W"/'This command repeats continuously' & another command for "stop all commands" (stopping this command specifically didn't seem to do anything).
I've tried both Standard & DirectX keys. Problem is, this input seems to perma-move any avatar upon testing Portal 2 and Ethan Carter despite VA recognizing STOP all commands. So, basically, when I say 'forward,' it continues to move me around even after I say 'stop' -- and VA registers that it stopped all commands.

EDIT: I see a recommendation to try putting delay in between key presses if things aren't being recognized completely, but wouldn't this interrupt running in-game?

Is there a better way to do this? Are there any profiles with this function? I'm rather surprised no one else is talking about WASD for Voice Attack. I have RSI and need alternate inputs.

Thanks.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Game Movement, WASD?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
"Press Key(s)" is one side of a keypress. You're telling VoiceAttack to hold down the key. You need to follow that up with "Release Key(s)" to stop holding it down.

There's no need to repeat the command, once it's pressed, a key will(under normal conditions) stay pressed until told otherwise.

Don't be afraid to call "Release Key(s)" without first having called "Press Key(s)" either; E.G. for your "Backwards" command you'll want to release "W" and press "S", which you can do without checking if "W" was pressed in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:32:42 PM by Pfeil »

Antaniserse

• Global Moderator
    • My VA plugins
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
Hi there,

I searched the forum for 'movement,' 'moving,' and 'WASD' with no relevant results.

A crude sample, to get you started, could look somewhat like this:

Code: [Select]
Whan I say "forward"
   Release S key
   Press down W key

When I say "backward"
   Release W key
   Press down S key

When I say "left"
   Release D key
   Press down A key

When I say "right"
   Release A key
   Press down D key

When I say "center"
   Release A key
   Release D key

When I say "stop"
   Release W key
   Release S key
   Release A key
   Release D key

No delay needed, and no 'repeat' option, every command is simply just the actions you see above... did a quick test with Fallout 3 (don't forget to check 'Direct X' in the keypress option in VA) and it works reasonably well, for a first try.

Note that the 4 main commands only stops their opposite, so that if you say "forward" and then "right", you will continue moving forward while strafing right and so on...
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin

earthsprite

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:28:20 PM »
Odd, I thought I replied weeks ago. I meant to thank both of you for the help; it's obvious there's more to the commands than I understood. I was able to get WASD to work, however, there's a ~.5 sec delay in response (expected since the command must be processed), so it may not be great for games with sudden drops like Portal!

Antaniserse

• Global Moderator
    • My VA plugins
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
Odd, I thought I replied weeks ago. I meant to thank both of you for the help; it's obvious there's more to the commands than I understood. I was able to get WASD to work, however, there's a ~.5 sec delay in response (expected since the command must be processed), so it may not be great for games with sudden drops like Portal!

Yes, I saw your response, and then it disappeared shortly after... the domain was right in the middle of an ISP switch, so maybe a few messages got lost in the transition.

A certain degree of overhead is expected, but .5 second should not be the norm... on my system, with the profile i tested, the delay was just barely noticeable; anyway, I guess games where timing is critical, like the aforementioned Portal and such, will always be less optimal with voice controlled movement
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin