Author Topic: Looking for Windows 10 and Office 365 profiles  (Read 3163 times)

librarian

Looking for Windows 10 and Office 365 profiles
« on: February 02, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »
Great software, my life is getting easier every day.

I am a Librarian and have a hand/wrist injury. I got this program to help me lower the amount of repetitive mouse and keyboard work i do.

I am a long way in to configuring a profile for my library management software. It is a lot of extra work at the start but it has lessened the amount of mouse and keyboard use in my regular work.

Before reinventing the wheel I am hoping some others might have created profiles for popular Windows 10 applications. I found and am making use of the Windows hotkeys profile someone uploaded.

Very interested in profiles for:
- File explorer
- MS Outlook
- MS Excel
- MS Word
- MS Teams
- Chrome
- Acrobat

Thanks

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
Re: Looking for Windows 10 and Office 365 profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 12:07:10 PM »
Windows Speech Recognition App itself has a large host of commands natively that are great for standard Windows OS use, including working with File Explorer, a web browser, and Windows applications such as Office.

VoiceAttack is great for making our own commands and systems, especially those that do not exist already in one form or another.

WSR App and VoiceAttack cannot be used at the same time, it's one or the other... (edit: see reply from Pfeil below) but while you wait for a purpose built VoiceAttack profile (or while working to create one yourself), you can definitely benefit from the standard Windows Speech Recognition App instead of VoiceAttack since it provides so many useful commands that can be helpful right now.

Eventually, you might transition 100% to VoiceAttack since you can create those same commands in it, with the added benefit of being alongside many other custom commands you create that WSR is not capable of doing, or even more generic or dynamic command recognition phrases instead of the quite rigid WSR App commands in the following list:

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-speech-recognition-commands

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 12:15:38 PM »
WSR App and VoiceAttack cannot be used at the same time

To clarify: technically both applications can run and function simultaneously, however this is generally discouraged as they can interfere with each other (E.G. commands getting recognized by the one not intended to be the recipient, and/or input conflicting)

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 12:25:49 PM »
Thank you for that clarification!! All these years, I had been under the impression that it was more than a potential conflict issue of duplicate commands, but some sort of technical block with the recognition engine, and never bothered to test/try it out.  Good to know!!

librarian

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 04:13:32 PM »
Thanks for the replys,
Before getting approval for VA from my organisation I was using and experimenting with WSR. It wasn't too bad for cammands but VA allowed me to link many shortcuts into one command. I found the voice recognition terrible, I think VA has been a big improvement with its limited index of cammands that it needs to recognise.

I am already using VA 100% and I would hate to have to use both.

Would it be crazy to ask if anyone has created a profile for using VoiceAttack? I know it seems to be designed for gamers but I find at the moment my major discomfort is from programming new commands into VA, I will be creating my own if I can't find one (which I haven't been able to yet).

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 10:05:08 PM »
Users have created profiles for that in the past, yes.

The beta version for VoiceAttack, which features a new GUI, potentially simplifies the creation of commands (both "regularly" and using spoken commands), as keyboard shortcuts are now available for adding actions, rather than only through a context menu structure.

Do note that currently you may need to add a short pause (E.G. 100ms) before having an action type into a field (E.G. using the "Quick Input" action, or a sequence of keypress actions), or press a key combination

Also worth pointing out that curly braces can be escaped using the pipe ("|") character, E.G.
Code: [Select]
Quick Input, '|{TIME|}'
to prevent the token parser from removing them (technically only one brace needs to be escaped, as only pairs are removed).

librarian

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 04:18:23 PM »
The beta version for VoiceAttack, which features a new GUI, potentially simplifies the creation of commands (both "regularly" and using spoken commands), as keyboard shortcuts are now available for adding actions, rather than only through a context menu structure.
Sounds great, when is that likely to become the main release?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 06:12:16 PM »
That has not been announced yet, so I cannot speculate.

If you'd like to try the beta version, it can be downloaded from the website, or this forum topic (for the Steam version you can select the beta branch, but I'll assume you're not using Steam).

Making backups of your profiles is recommended; while profiles can generally be used with both versions, if you use actions or options that are only available in the beta, those would obviously not then be usable in the current release version, should you decide to roll back.