Author Topic: help with star citizen and VA  (Read 12433 times)

humanevil

help with star citizen and VA
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
so i created some basic voice commands  for star citizen and once in game i use said commands but nothing happens, VA understands what im saying but nothing happens in game. ive tried starting in admin mode as well as selecting the active window/star citizen and star citizen launcher options and nothing works

Rhaedas

Re: help with star citizen and VA
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
The usual first test is to use active window and first see if you can open notepad and see the keypresses get sent. Also, it's recommended to use the DirectX method, unless you run into a few special cases that don't work well there. If that works fine, then make sure your binds are the same as the game, and the game is in the best mode for getting the keys. I don't know about SC, but I do know that ED works a lot better for me in borderless window mode rather than full screen.

humanevil

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:49 AM »
The usual first test is to use active window and first see if you can open notepad and see the keypresses get sent. Also, it's recommended to use the DirectX method, unless you run into a few special cases that don't work well there. If that works fine, then make sure your binds are the same as the game, and the game is in the best mode for getting the keys. I don't know about SC, but I do know that ED works a lot better for me in borderless window mode rather than full screen.
ive tried all of them suggestions except for boarderless window mode. VA used to work fine  but stopped a while ago so i dunno what the issue is, i suppose i could try it with elite and see what happens

Rhaedas

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
If you're seeing activity in Notepad, then it's likely not VA, but some reason between it and SC that is messing up. Especially if it ends up working with ED too.

If it ISN'T showing up in a basic test like that, as cliche as it sounds, try completely uninstalling and reinstalling VA. Your profile is in a different place and won't get affected. I want to say that a while back I had VA acting a bit quirky, did this and it fixed things, may have been a bad file somehow.

humanevil

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
If you're seeing activity in Notepad, then it's likely not VA, but some reason between it and SC that is messing up. Especially if it ends up working with ED too.

If it ISN'T showing up in a basic test like that, as cliche as it sounds, try completely uninstalling and reinstalling VA. Your profile is in a different place and won't get affected. I want to say that a while back I had VA acting a bit quirky, did this and it fixed things, may have been a bad file somehow.
so i opened VA and then note pad and started to talk quoting commands and some commands  was typed in notepad some was not

Rhaedas

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
Then VA sounds like it's working. The ones that didn't show up, should they have been a key that shows in notepad, or could they have been something like Insert or End keys?

I guess more to the point, are the commands that didn't work for SC ones that use a typable key, and if tried with notepad, does it show up? If not then maybe there's something different between those and other commands that do work. It's hard to guess without seeing any of that, it might take some trial and error. Or if you can find one that isn't working and others are, you could copy and paste that code here. Or maybe even upload the whole profile.

I do think that if VA is getting some stuff through, then it's not the program itself.

humanevil

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
well it seems VA will work on some commands (the ones that dont work are simple ones like  press "m" etc) and not on others so i log out of the game and va and start again and this time the commands that did work dont and some other commands do work. basicly it chooses 1 or 2 commandsit wants to work and screw the others lol.
another example i choose the word "comms" to open the chat window (f12) and it wont work but eject that requires 3 key presses works first time

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Make sure to check out this thread:
http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=53.0

Also, make sure you don't have something like Synergy or TeamViewer or any application that may hook the keyboard or change the targeted application.

humanevil

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
Make sure to check out this thread:
http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=53.0

Also, make sure you don't have something like Synergy or TeamViewer or any application that may hook the keyboard or change the targeted application.
thanks for your reply! how would i know if something was switching the target window? also i will have a look at how long the button press is just in case its the issue

Rhaedas

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
One way to get around a window that has lost focus is to send a false or dummy keypress first. Say you send the key "H" for whatever command. In the edit screen instead of using Active Window, select your application instead. Now, if you sent the H and that app wasn't in focus, it might take some time to do that, and the keypress might slip past. So, in all your commands that send info to the app window, first send a key that doesn't do anything. I use the Left Shift by itself since I don't use that for other commands. Doesn't even have to be long, I use just 0.01 secs. But that will pop the app back into focus in time for the real command to hit.

Not saying that is the solution here, but if lost focus IS the problem, it will help.

I also use this same trick so I can look at other stuff like a browser while the game is playing, and if I give a command or touch the joystick, it triggers refocus so I can jump back into action instead of wondering why nothing is suddenly working as I dive into a star.

humanevil

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
so ive tried giving commands in windowed mode also selecting the other option you have other than active window  and again i got a few more commands to work but not all of them still. but ive not tried the idea that Rhaedas suggested yet.