Author Topic: My voice attack has hallucinations  (Read 2124 times)

jfri

My voice attack has hallucinations
« on: October 07, 2021, 05:18:24 AM »
I encounter a problem with VA that it sometimes says to recognize a word but I had not said anything. This leads to commands being executed that I have not asked for. This is not some single isolated event. When using VA I use a HP Reverb G2 VR headset with flight simulators like MSFS P3D XP11 DCS.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM

jfri

Re: My voice attack has hallucinations
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:14:47 AM »
The "I'm not saying anything but VoiceAttack keeps hearing things" section of this topic offers some suggestions.

I have tried the suggestion about changing weight and confidence but it does not help

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »
As noted in the suggestions, making sure the input volume is not higher than strictly required is also important.

You'll also want to make sure your speech recognition profile is trained at least three times, using only one microphone.
If you have already trained your profile using a different microphone, create a new profile as shown here
If not, steps for starting additional training can be found here.

Also worth noting is that command phrase length can greatly affect the chances of unintended recognition. E.G. a command like "gear" would be affected more than a command like "Copilot, extend the landing gear"; the more data the speech recognition system has to work with, the more accurate it will generally be.

jfri

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 03:34:15 AM »
As noted in the suggestions, making sure the input volume is not higher than strictly required is also important.

You'll also want to make sure your speech recognition profile is trained at least three times, using only one microphone.
If you have already trained your profile using a different microphone, create a new profile as shown here
If not, steps for starting additional training can be found here.

Also worth noting is that command phrase length can greatly affect the chances of unintended recognition. E.G. a command like "gear" would be affected more than a command like "Copilot, extend the landing gear"; the more data the speech recognition system has to work with, the more accurate it will generally be.

That training is tricky. I am supposed to read what is written on the monitor but I can't see the monitor while wearing my VR headset.
In another program I can learn that program to recognize specific words. Is that possible with Voice Attack ?
Voice Attack has incredible big problem understanding what I say. For example I have the word END in my profile. It says it recognized that word when I have said nothing. But when I say it then it can't recognize it

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 03:46:44 AM »
Some VR platforms allow you to display the contents of a monitor, or even a specific window, in VR. If that functionality is not implemented natively for your platform, there are also "virtual desktop" applications that do the same thing.

Individual words can be added to the speech recognition dictionary (there is a shortcut to that feature in the context menu for the "Utilities >" button on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window), however that is not a replacement for a properly trained speech recognition profile.

As mentioned, short words are the most difficult for the speech recognition system to recognize accurately, as there is much less information to work with.

It's also worth pointing out that the speech recognition engines are designed for a specific accent. E.G. if you don't speak English with a US accent, the US English speech recognition engine will likely not work accurately.
If there is a speech recognition engine available in your native language, that may be worth trying.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »
That training is tricky. I am supposed to read what is written on the monitor but I can't see the monitor while wearing my VR headset.

Some virtual desktop program is pretty essential for VR, so you can see your desktop when needed.  You'll definitely need something like that if you want to run through WSR Training using the VR microphone, so you can see the text you need to read.

I have the Oculus Rift (CV1) which includes a virtual desktop (not sure if it is still locked in 'experimental mode'), and have tried several of the available programs that do this as well.  You should be able to enable a virtual desktop through SteamVR, but I've not used it personally - should google about that before dropping money on software.

By far, my favorite for performance and options is the Virtual Desktop program on Steam - here's a link - well worth the $15 (USD)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/382110