Author Topic: Odyssey and Horizons Binds Files CoExisting?  (Read 1842 times)

FatzDomingo

Odyssey and Horizons Binds Files CoExisting?
« on: August 11, 2021, 03:53:11 AM »
This Hypothesis relies upon Elite Dangerous, Voice Attack and HCS VoicePacks all playing nicely together. Partly observation, partly what’s been gleaned from a combination of all sites, partly from users questions, partly from ignorance in Borking my own Binds files.  So, I'm posting this on all three message Boards hoping for Wisdom and perhaps collaboration betwixt all 3 Vendors instead of finger pointing and "it’s not us Gov"!
We all know that changed VIDPID (USB Controller identification) can Bork a Binds File as soon as ED is loaded up. But it looks like HCS and VA may not play nicely either.

As a point In Fact: Alterations in UI also create absolute mayhem for VA navigating through the sequence of Panels to reach the appropriate subject to keypress until they’ve been amended.

Horizons requires and looks for MajorVersion = “3” in its associated .Binds Files now Odyssey looks for, or creates, MajorVersion = “4” for its usage.

So taking all of that into account, I’ve created a VIRPHorizons.BINDS file (I’ve just upgraded to Virpil CM3 and Constellation Grip) The Binds File has MajorVersion = “3” in order to be properly recognised by ED started in Horizons via Steam. I’ve also remembered to include a Custom.3.BINDS file in order for HCS not to throw a wobbly. This is basically a VIRPHorizons File renamed and with second line changed to reflect the renaming. (apparently HCS reads the Custom File at startup) Should also be noted that my Startup File contains “VIRPHorizons” and so far Horizons is quite happy with that.

I am in the process of creating a VIRPOdyssey Binds file utilising Cut and Paste via Notepad++. A kind Commander on the ED Forum dropped me a MajorVersion = “4”  BINDS File to plunder through and use at will. All it really required was ALL Keyboard Commands inserted, I’m taking care of the rest. This should mean I’m Good To Go whenever I get around to being less chicken and fire up Odyssey (which I’ve already purchased)

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I’VE GOT ANYTHING WRONG SO FAR, I’M NEVER AGAINST LEARNING!

Reasons for choosing Horizons over Odyssey at this stage are irrelevant. It’s a matter of choice for me and maybe necessity for anyone who has not yet purchased the Odyssey DLC.

In any event, will all Products recognise that Version 3 and Version 4 Binds Files are present and utilise the appropriate file set depending upon selection of Odyssey or Horizons without Borking anything they don’t like?

If not, swapping in and out a complete collection of Version 3 or 4 each time I wish to change Horizons/Odyssey isn’t a major problem, just a pain in the ass.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Odyssey and Horizons Binds Files CoExisting?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 04:27:43 AM »
VoiceAttack is following the instructions it is given by the third-party profiles and plugins you are using.

It does not use "Binds" files, or check them for any type of version. Nor does VoiceAttack have any concept of a "sequence of Panels", or how to navigate through them.

Anything specific to a given target application would be supplied by a third-party. You'd want to contact that third party for assistance, as you mention you have done.

FatzDomingo

Re: Odyssey and Horizons Binds Files CoExisting?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 04:30:21 AM »
Thanks.....looks like it's all down to HCS and FD.

Incidentally, without Voice Attack, I'd be stuffed in quite a few games.....
Be Well and Great Product.