Author Topic: Some thoughts (especially for new VA users)  (Read 1711 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Some thoughts (especially for new VA users)
« on: June 28, 2021, 10:42:43 AM »
I found this video very interesting and inspiring (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJRopau0g0). It's principles have application in all facets of daily life, however it immediately reminded me of what it was like when I first found and started learning to use VoiceAttack.

For new folks, learning about and using VoiceAttack may seem like daunting tasks. "What do I know about voice recognition?" "Variables? Conditional statements? Dude, I know nothing about coding." "What? The manual is 250 pages?!" But I had a goal, and I was going to make it happen.

Finding a way to mentally reframe problems and obstacles (watch the video and you'll understand) may make all the difference. If you do this and break down your goals into bite-sized and manageable pieces, there's no telling what you might accomplish (VoiceAttack or otherwise).

I look back now and chuckle at the complexity (for better or for worse) of some of my earlier VA profiles. Full disclosure - I still haven't accomplished my original goal. Not because it's too hard or because I couldn't figure it out. Rather, on my main quest (to accomplish my goal) I found VA side quests that I couldn't resist tackling (plus #toddlerlife). And all those side quests gave me the knowledge, skills, and confidence to complete my main quest when the time is right.

People use VoiceAttack for a variety of reasons. For many it's to augment (or enable) their gaming experiences. For others, VA offers the possibilities of significant quality of life improvements. And for others, VA is a quirky tool that makes interacting with their PC fun. Does everyone know how to accomplish their goals with VA right out of the gate? Of course not. But if you keep your end goals in mind, find ways to break your goals into smaller manageable pieces, and think about the learning process (and goal achievement) as your own quest, I firmly believe you will be successful.

And we'll be right here to help you along the way.  ;)