Author Topic: 64 bit 1.8.8 Crashes with Elite Dangerous Odyssey  (Read 1792 times)

WildBill24

64 bit 1.8.8 Crashes with Elite Dangerous Odyssey
« on: June 17, 2021, 07:41:47 AM »
Hi,
I have just installed the new 64 bit version 1.8.8
I am running it using a variety of HCS voicepacks.

I am finding it crashes frequently with Elite Dangerous Odyssey. It works very well with Elite Dangerous Horizons.

The old 32 bit version was very stable.

Anyone had a similar issue?

I am well aware that the problem may lie in the HCS code rather than Voiceattack, just looking for some pointers.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: 64 bit 1.8.8 Crashes with Elite Dangerous Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 08:30:35 AM »
Hi, WildBill

You'll want to look in your VoiceAttack installation folder and see if it contains a VoiceAttackFault.txt file.  The contents of that file will possibly have more information on what's up.

If the file is not located in your installation folder, you can try looking for it in your data folder for VoiceAttack.  This would be C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\VoiceAttack - which you can get to by going to Options > System/Advanced and clicking on, 'Browse VoiceAttack's data folder'.  If it doesn't make any sense, you can always share the file here.

Hope that helps!

WildBill24

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »
Thanks very much.

Here are yesterdays entries. Makes no sense to me other than potential code in HCSPlugin.dll ?
It does work for a few commands and then crashes. I haven't managed to debug it to a specific command.

***VoiceAttack v1.8.8 - Windows 10.0.19042.0
Plugin assemblies:
HCS Plugin v3.6.7 - (c) 2016-2021 HCS VoicePacks Ltd [HCSPlugin.dll] (enabled) - Last call: 14 Jun 2021 09:30:07:69 VA_Invoke1
17 June 2021 22:12:43***************************************************************************************
System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain..()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
Plugin assemblies:
HCS Plugin v3.6.7 - (c) 2016-2021 HCS VoicePacks Ltd [HCSPlugin.dll] (enabled) - Last call: 17 Jun 2021 09:59:10:59 VA_Invoke1
17 June 2021 22:17:53***************************************************************************************
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
Plugin assemblies:
HCS Plugin v3.6.7 - (c) 2016-2021 HCS VoicePacks Ltd [HCSPlugin.dll] (enabled) - Last call: 17 Jun 2021 10:16:52:21 VA_Invoke1
17 June 2021 23:00:50***************************************************************************************
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain..()
Plugin assemblies:
HCS Plugin v3.6.7 - (c) 2016-2021 HCS VoicePacks Ltd [HCSPlugin.dll] (enabled) - Last call: 17 Jun 2021 10:51:08:86 VA_Invoke1

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 06:33:48 PM »
Yeah - this looks like there is a problem in HCSPlugin.dll.  You'll want to talk to them about it - if you can nail it down to one specific command, that would help them greatly.

WildBill24

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:35:10 PM »
Will do, thanks Gary. I recall when installing 1.8.8 there was a note about a setting related to timing if there are issues, does that mean anything to you?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
I'm not familiar with that, no -   sorry :(

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 07:46:50 PM »
If you're referring to the "Auto-Adjust CPU Utilization During Command Execution" setting on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, that was added with v1.8.8

You can try turning it off and seeing if it makes a difference just in case, though I wouldn't personally expect it to

WildBill24

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 08:02:25 PM »
Thats the one....I'll give it a try and contact HCS.

WildBill24

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »
re: VoiceAttack 64 bit 1.8.8 crash with Odyssey

Thanks for all that chipped in with assistance. Hope I'm not talking too soon but I think I've got this fixed.

Key learnings are as follows:
  • Uninstall and re-install everything!
  • Make sure that windows parameters are set to ensure VoiceAttack.exe is run as administrator;
  • Make sure that Audio|Audio Output Type = Integrated Components;
  • Make sure Load Profile On Startup = None.
Ships Cat doesn't appear to work but I can live with that!

o7