Author Topic: Installing 64 bit and 32 bit versions on same computer  (Read 813 times)

Ilmars

Installing 64 bit and 32 bit versions on same computer
« on: June 11, 2021, 06:20:07 AM »
Is it possible to install and use both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of VoiceAttack on the same machine? I notice that both versions use the same directory location for the VoiceAttack.dat file.  I suspect that may cause problems when using both bit versions of the software?

I have a situation where a plugin I am using (JanJan's Falcon BMS 4.35 plugin) only runs on the 32 bit version of VoiceAttack, but I would also like to start using the 64 bit version for my other game profiles.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Installing 64 bit and 32 bit versions on same computer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:32:42 AM »
It is absolutely possible, Ilmars.  You can have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions pointing to the same .dat and they will both work (that's all I do here).  I would still back up your .dat though - anytime I do something a little out of the ordinary, I make sure that the .dat is copied off to a safe place.  Thankfully, only in the most extreme cases have I ever had to replace my .dat (this would be something that was my own fault lol).

Also, you can check out the -datadir (or whatever) command line parameter in the help document (hit F1 when VA is in focus to see the help doc).  It allows you to specify an alternate location for an instance of VA to use.

Hope that helps!

Ilmars

Re: Installing 64 bit and 32 bit versions on same computer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
Thanks Gary.  Good to know that I won't screw a lot up by running both versions.  I'll check out the command line parameter to see if I can redirect one of the instances as well, just to be safe.