Author Topic: VA keeps closing (crashing?) every 5 minutes  (Read 1843 times)

Bazmack

VA keeps closing (crashing?) every 5 minutes
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:59:22 PM »
VA keeps closing (crashing?) every 5 minutes - when it is sitting doing NOTHING
To be clear - it is not in response to any input (no mic input or key presses are triggering - though I don't know how to find the error log)
Any ideas?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA keeps closing (crashing?) every 5 minutes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
Does this still occur when you disable plugin support (by unchecking "Enable Plugin Support" on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window and restarting VoiceAttack)?

If so, does it still occur when you disable any joysticks in the Joystick Options window (opened using the corresponding button on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window)?

Bazmack

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:03:02 PM »
I'll try disabling those now

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:49:35 PM »
VoiceAttackFault.txt (VA's fault file) will be located in VA's installation directory - for Steam, that would be (usually) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack.  For the standalone/website version, that would be (usually) C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack.  If VA was able to catch an exception that was making it crash, this will be captured in the fault file.  If VA was closed by an external source (such as antivirus/internet security), information will not be written.

Bazmack

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 11:22:55 PM »
So disabling joysticks has stopped the problem (plugins was never enabled). It now doesn't close randomly. The VoiceAttackFault.text was empty. So what does that mean? Do I need to disable and re-add my joysticks in the future? They are not left plugged in btw. Thanks in advance

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
Was there an empty VoiceAttackFault.txt file in the installation directory, or was there no file by that name at all?

Currently it's not quite clear what exactly causes that crash, only that it is related to the joystick library, or an underlying component, as VoiceAttack itself does not catch the exception (which is why there would normally be no VoiceAttackFault.txt file, or at least nothing to put in it), indicating it is happening on a relatively low level.

The majority of what reports there are seems to indicate it could be related to devices that are disconnected, so if you're not using a specific device, try disabling it in the joystick options window