Author Topic: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf - 'Make VoiceAttack Start Listening' - wording suggestion  (Read 2797 times)

zL0ki

Having read through some old threads and not so old threads, I happened upon the 'Make VoiceAttack Start Listening' action/function, which is likewise written in the section ‘Other Stuff’ Screens of the VoiceAttackHelp.pdf.

The current latest beta version doesn't use the wording 'Make VoiceAttack Start Listening' just 'Start Listening' in the context menu 'VoiceAttack Action'.

This did initially somewhat throw me back with the wording. Whenever revisions are made I put forward a revisal of the wording.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
That action is named "Make VoiceAttack Start Listening", as shown when you double-click it in the action list, and as mentioned in the documentation.

There are three main places actions are labeled, and they may be labeled differently in each: The context menu, the action list, and the dialog to add or edit the action.

The "Make VoiceAttack Start Listening" action has been labeled as "Start Listening" in the context menu at least as far back as v1.6.2
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:53:51 AM by Pfeil »

zL0ki

Good to know.

Might be showing my apparent stupidity, but I wasn't even really aware of what the commands listed in the sequence box are referred to 'action list'. This is even after using advanced features such as inline functions.  It's a large document. I tend to read sections that are pertinent at the time. I'm dyslexic and tend to work with visualisation cues than reading from cover to cover.

Unless you edit the action, you don't see it's called "Make VoiceAttack Start Listening".

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Technically, according to the documentation, it's named the "Command Macro Action List", but I have literally never known anyone to refer to it by that mouthful.

Makes more sense when you know the term for the instructions/functions in a command is "actions".

Profiles contain commands, commands contain actions. If commands contained commands, that'd make it more difficult to know which of the two people are referring to.

"Make VoiceAttack Start Listening" is something of a legacy holdover from when there was no context menu to switch between "other" actions, but rather a dropdown at the top of every action's edit window that listed all of those actions (there were much fewer of them at that point).
As there were no subcategories in that dropdown, the "Make VoiceAttack" prefix added some context.

In the same vein, "Make VoiceAttack Stop Processing All Commands" is listed as "Stop Processing All Commands"

Newer actions tend to be listed by their comparatively more succinct full name, with some exceptions like "Get User Input - Text", which is listed as "Get Text" in the "Get User Input" submenu (though if you favorite it, it is listed in the "Favorites" submenu as "Get User Input - Text"; "Make VoiceAttack Start Listening" is still listed as "Start Listening", however)

For actions that don't have options that can be edited, no window is displayed when adding the action (the only real functional reasons for those actions having an edit window would be to add it as a favorite, and to provide some informational text), so the full name is certainly much less prominent than for actions where the window does open automatically.

zL0ki

Yeah "Command Macro Action List" is a bit of a mouthful. But at least if it ever comes up again I'll be in the know  :)

That favorites option is brilliant. Admittedly only just discovered it through this thread.

On reflection I think I should have reworded the title and put the post in the 'How Do I?' section.

Still it's been worth it to get a better understanding overall.

Thanks for insights.