Author Topic: is this a virus VoiceAttack files  (Read 1630 times)

Eddbanger

is this a virus VoiceAttack files
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:22:34 PM »
Hi I just installed VoiceAttack full paid version for Elite and Dcs  and using 8 voice packs from Hcs voice packs and Viacom for Dcs
The problem I have is windows is stopping this file from running and its from VoiceAttack in the windows security software

this is the name of the file blocked is it a voice attack file and secondly is it safe to run

Detected: PUA:Win32/Pearfoos.A!ml
Details: This program has potentially unwanted behavior.
Affected items : file: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe

there are more locations that are affected  were voice attack resides on my system I can list them all if needed

any help regarding this issue I have is much appreciated I haven't had this problem before installing Voice Attack

Gary

• Administrator
Re: is this a virus VoiceAttack files
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »
Hi, there

Should be safe to run, as it would be a false positive.  I upload each of VoiceAttack's installers and (for good measure) executables to VirusTotal before putting them on the site.  I haven't had reports from any body else, so, if you got VoiceAttack from VoiceAttack.com, you should be good to go.  If you got it from somewhere else, I'd go and get it from VoiceAttack.com.

Hope that helps!

PS - what antivirus are you running?

Eddbanger

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »
hi thanks for the reply
and I paid for voice attack, so no other place for me but the original site to download the program, then input my license number then windows 10 security gave this as I tried to install seems strange all the people running windows 10 and only me getting this file error
    ok thanks for the reply

Is this file" \2PUA:Win32/Pearfoos.A!ml "shipped with voice attack installer would be my next question

the ! in the last part after the . looks wierd

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »
That would be the name of the virus that Defender (assuming) is reporting.  You may want to try updating your virus definitions to see if that helps.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
Note that "PUA" stands for "Potentially Unwanted Application", which is not actually a virus.

Chances are the heuristics engine is seeing that VoiceAttack can do things like shut down your computer (using the "Shutdown PC" option of the "Windows Miscellaneous Functions" action in a command, I.E. when you tell it to), and erroneously assuming that's something you don't want.

It's a mistake on Defender's part, either way. Use Windows Update (in the "Update & Security" section of the Settings app) to check for updates, which should also update Defender definitions.

Eddbanger

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:00:30 PM »
That would be the name of the virus that Defender (assuming) is reporting.  You may want to try updating your virus definitions to see if that helps.
hi, thanks for your reply and help, this is new windows 10 install and fully up to date with all windows updates, I haven't had issues like this ever before and there are other little things that are making me feel that my windows fresh install is corrupted somehow, I am getting issues lockups and I think a hardware issue may be the cause may be bad memory or hard drive or something,
But it's been ok today and I was just trying to get back my installed regular programs when this issue popped up that I have never come across before so I will do as suggested ... windows says and up to date on windows update. thanks again, regards Eddie

Eddbanger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »
Note that "PUA" stands for "Potentially Unwanted Application", which is not actually a virus.

Chances are the heuristics engine is seeing that VoiceAttack can do things like shut down your computer (using the "Shutdown PC" option of the "Windows Miscellaneous Functions" action in a command, I.E. when you tell it to), and erroneously assuming that's something you don't want.

It's a mistake on Defender's part, either way. Use Windows Update (in the "Update & Security" section of the Settings app) to check for updates, which should also update Defender definitions.
hi thanks for your reply I did not know what PUA stood for so thanks for that info

I had all these programs running on my last build that failed to boot and wouldn't repair my windows installations
on the last build, I never had these issues and all was working before losing my last windows install a few weeks ago
I have been slowly reinstalling my programs I own and use when this issue happened
so all the hardware is the same just a reinstall of windows

I have run into more issues with permissions with my other hard drives than other windows installs
so I will check again for errors and updates
so I will let you know how I get on in a week or so I will see if my programs settle but other than that I may change my hard drive and clean install everything again,
thanks again for your help regards Eddie  cheers all