Author Topic: Handicapped Gamer needs help  (Read 1081 times)

Grospolina

Handicapped Gamer needs help
« on: November 20, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
Hello.

I am severely handicapped(Muscles almost gone). I can only reach arrow keys for movement so i use VoiceAttack a lot. I need a way to get out of a blackscreen/softlock. Like when i played Halo 4 the screen went black and heard a "paling"(which was the colour/aer thing asking if you want to lower quality due to speed) which i couldn't see to click.

I have an "open taskmgr.exec" command but it doesn't work. It needs to be the screen that pops up when you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.(looks like the log in screen). So i set a voice command to press these keys but... nothing happens. Any idea why?

Please don't berate me for using Win 7 :( I use it because I'm depended on tools/scripts that don't work on Win 10.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Handicapped Gamer needs help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
If you're looking to stop an application that has focus, you could do that directly using the "Stop a Process by Name" action and the "{ACTIVEWINDOWPROCESSNAME}" token, E.G.
Code: [Select]
Close '{ACTIVEWINDOWPROCESSNAME}' process
You'd probably want to make the phrase that triggers it fairly distinct, and if necessary increase the minimum confidence level, to make sure it doesn't execute accidentally.

Note that this would apply to the foreground window, so if something else pops up when the issue occurs, you'd want to use the process name for the game instead (which makes the command less flexible, but able to hit its target regardless of which application has focus)

Ctrl-Alt-Delete is a special key combination that Windows will only accept from keyboard devices for security reasons, and is specifically designed so it should not be possible to emulate in software.

Grospolina

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 02:13:29 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

Damn i'm screwed then. I don't know when/which game something happens and active windows often won't work. But thank you, was nice of you.

Edit: Emulating must work, when i put the same key combo on a mouse button it works. I lose ANOTHER key then though :(

iceblast

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:22:30 PM »
Press Left Ctrl+Left Shift+Escape keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

You can set a voice command, to start Task Manager.

Press and Hold Ctrl+Shift+Escape will directly open task manager in windows. I use this voice command all the time.

iceblast

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:37:56 PM »
Something else you can do, if you still can't get task manager up. Is set up some voice commands that will kill the process of whatever app you tend to have a problem with.

So, let's say Halo 4 is your main problem, then you can make a voice command to kill its process directly.

I don't know the process name for Halo 4, so this is just example.
Close 'halo 4' process

Use this command, to get the process name from and program you have your moue cursor on, and it will copy the process name to the clipboard, and then you can just paste it into a command. This will also print the name in the VA log for you to see directly.

Write [Blue] '{WINDOWPROCESSUNDERMOUSE}' to log
Set Windows clipboard to '{WINDOWPROCESSUNDERMOUSE}'

There are many, many way to kill a process. You can use AutoHotKey script as well, and have VA run it.

I hope this helps.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 06:47:57 AM »
Emulating must work, when i put the same key combo on a mouse button it works.

I assure you it does not. Your mouse software is not emulating the keypresses directly; Instead it'd be using a keyboard driver (installed alongside your mouse driver from that manufacturer) that registers as if it were a physical keyboard, thus working around the restriction.

Grospolina

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 03:11:08 AM »
Thank you both!

I have a taskmanager command but it doesn't unfocus the frozen game. The kill process should work though, thanks!(Close halo4.exe process?)

Offtopic: I got "Total War: Troy", it refuses to take "Enter::RButton". Ideas?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 06:14:09 AM »
(Close halo4.exe process?)
The ".exe" suffix is redundant. If you do add it, VoiceAttack will remove it internally before calling the relevant API function.

Offtopic: I got "Total War: Troy", it refuses to take "Enter::RButton". Ideas?
There were a few reports of mouse clicks not working in Total War: Warhammer 2, so assuming the game you're referring to uses the same input system, that is something the game developers would need to address (VoiceAttack uses standard Windows API methods for sending input).