Author Topic: Run Application System32 "the system cannot find the file specified"  (Read 894 times)

Olias

Although I found a workaround, I have to believe there is a better solution to this.
  • Challenge: Add/Change/Delete Dictionary words using Windows Speech utility via voice command.
  • Result: Apparently one cannot execute anything in the windows System32 directory even if Administrator mode is enabled.
  • Workaround: Copy the entire Windows Speech Utility folder into the Voiceattack APPS directory

I'm doing some work which requires the use of different microphones. Windows Speech recognition engine works better if one takes the time to create separate profiles for each microphone source and human voice. I found myself popping into the Utilities tab under options far too often so to save time, I figured I'd just create a command. Although my workaround functions fine, it just seems like an inelegant solution.

Voiceattack is set to run in administrator mode. The command line I am using runs fine from the windows run command. However, the error message states "the system cannot find the file specified"

Perhaps I am missing something. The attached example is using SSH.exe which is a pretty benign utility that accepts a single parameter of an IP address. I've tried embedding the command within quotes as well but that's not the issue because the exact same syntax functions fine when using the voiceattack APPS directory. The problem is somewhere in the system32 directory and I have to believe it is a windows security related issue, why else would the exact same command work elsewhere?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Run Application System32 "the system cannot find the file specified"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »
VoiceAttack is a 32bit application, which means Windows will redirect requests for the System32 folder to the SysWow64 folder instead.

If you want to launch an application that's in the System32 directory, use the "Sysnative" alias instead, E.G. "C:\Windows\Sysnative\OpenSSH\ssh.exe"

Olias

Re: Run Application System32 "the system cannot find the file specified"
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 09:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the speedy response. That worked like a charm. Not in a million years would I have found that solution. But I'm still weirded out by the fact that there is a directory of programs I cannot see from explorer or CMD.  ;) Oh well... leave it to Microsoft. :'(

So for anyone else looking to implement this, here is the actual path
"C:\Windows\Sysnative\Speech\SpeechUX\SpeechUXWiz.exe"
Parameter to pass would be something like this:
AddRemoveWord,en-US

Obviously, you'll want to substitute your own language pack for your version of windows. (i.e. en-GB for British English or fr-CA for Canadian French or fr-FR for France French) You get the idea.

For language pack abbreviations for your language, they can be found on this table.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/available-language-packs-for-windows

If anyone interested in creating this command, you would simply create a command that is let's say  "Modify Word" and use the "Run an Application" with the above parameters, then this provides a voiceattack shortcut to modify, add, change words in Microsoft's speech recognition applet without having to navigate to the settings menu.