Author Topic: CH Products devices not recognized when in "mapped" mode.  (Read 11976 times)

JLX

CH Products devices not recognized when in "mapped" mode.
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »
First up, VoiceAttack is fantastic! I hope it just keeps improving over time  :)

The issue I'm having at the moment is that it's not recognizing virtual CH Control Manger Devices created with the CH Control Manager software.

When CH Products joysticks/throttles/pedals are connected to the system in "direct" mode (most commonly used) they appears as standard game devices as you can see in the first attachment.

However, like many joysticks, they can be programmed with advanced functionality via scripting, etc. via the software mentioned above. When a custom program/script is active, the devices are in "mapped" mode.

When in mapped mode, virtual devices are created with the names CH Control Manger Device 1...n and are recognized as game devices in Windows. As you can see in my second attachment, you can have more virtual devices than physical devices when used in this manner. In my example I have an additional scripted 4th controller.  These virtual devices are recognized in games identically to physical ones. I'm using DCS for example and they are recognized and function properly without issue.

However, in VoiceAttack, when I tried to updated my joystick hotkey combo to activate listening, these virtual devices are not recognized and I'm unable to set a new hotkey combo for my HOTAS as I was able to when using them in direct mode.

I would have though that a physical or virtual game device would appear identically to software so I was surprised by the result. Regardless, it's not working at the moment and I'm hoping this can be resolved in a future update.

Thanks!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: CH Products devices not recognized when in "mapped" mode.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:53 AM »
Did you reassign the devices in the VoiceAttack Joystick Options after switching?

JLX

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
Tnx for the reply but yes, I did.  Of course the old ones (assigned to now non-existent devices) obviously won't work anymore.

The issue is that VoiceAttack doesn't recognize the virtual devices so I was unable to assign new hotkeys.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:04:19 AM »
They must be categorized differently, as virtual devices like vJoy show up in the list.  I'll dive in there and see if there's something that can be set to include that type of, 'device'.  Do you know if CH Control Manager can be installed by anybody or does it only work if you have a specific hardware device?

(Thanks, Pfeil)

JLX

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »
It can be installed by anybody (link in first post will take you there). However, as it will only work if you have CH gear, I don't think you can use it to set up some trial virtual devices.

If you'd like me to do some testing, as I obviously have the gear, I'd be happy to help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »
I happen to have a CH Fighterstick sitting around, so I installed the CH Control Manager, but even with that, what is presumably the option for switching to virtual mode(it's right next to "direct mode", anyways) is grayed out.

I suspect you need more than one device to use that feature(as otherwise there's nothing to combine).

JLX

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
No, you do not need multiple devices to use mapped mode:

• Clear any existing map by pressing the 3rd (paper icon) button
  • Start a new map using the wizard using the 4th button(lightning icon)
  • Select only the Fighterstick fromthe controllers list
  • Do not combine your controllers when asked
  • Do not include CMS scripting (powerful but not needed here) when asked

When finished you will have a map template for only the Figheterstick and should see a tab for this controller.

Press any joystick button (say the trigger) then, on the right side you'll see under DirectX Function, it's set to CM Device 1 Button 1.

Press a different button. Once again, you'll see the DirectX Device = CM Device 1 Button n. CHANGE THIS to CM Device 2 Button n.

Now your map will use make 2 virtual controllers, Device 1 and 2. I'm sure you get the idea. You can create up to 16 virtual controllers and/or emulate a mouse this way.

Once done, you need to DOWNLOAD this map to your device using the 8th button in the toolbar (joystick with green arrow) as the maps are stored internally in the device.

The final thing you need to do is to put the controllers into MAPPED mode. There are 3 buttons (icons 12-14 on toolbar) with blue bars on top and yellow dots on the bottom with different connectors between them. This sets the controllers to either OFF, DIRECT or MAPPED modes. Click on the 3rd button to switch to mapped mode.

If you check your game devices in Windows, you should see them listed similarly to the screen shots in my original post. You can switch between DIRECT and MAPPED mode and watch the USB Game controllers update in Windows in real time to ensure it's been done correctly.

If it's not clear, let me know and I can send a screenshot or something. I'd make a map myself and attach it for testing but I have a Combatstick (not a Fighterstick).

Hope that helps.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »
Hope that helps.

It does indeed. I'd never used the mapping software before(I don't use this stick), but your instructions were very clear.

For me, after having assigned both virtual devices, I had no trouble creating commands mapped to both and executing them using the buttons when using "CM Device 1" and "CM Device 2" as devices.

However, when I selected "CM Device 4" for one of the buttons(as you mention you "have an additional scripted 4th controller"), I still only had "CH Control Manager Device 1" and "CH Control Manager Device 2" in the Game Controllers dialog, and the button didn't map to either of those.

JLX

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 04:09:28 PM »
Did you remember to download the new map profile to the device after change the map settings? Otherwise, it will be correctly using the current (last downloaded) map which only had the 2 devices.

However, the number of devices doesn't matter. I happen to use a custom script and assign that to a 4th controller. As you can see you can have one controller and make it into 5 or take 3 and turn it into 1, etc. The problem that I'm experiencing is that VoiceAttack doesn't recognize ANY of the Control Manager Devices while other software (e.g. DCS) does.

For me, after having assigned both virtual devices, I had no trouble creating commands mapped to both and executing them using the buttons when using "CM Device 1" and "CM Device 2" as devices.

When you say "...had not trouble creating commands..." do you mean in VoiceAttack? Or, are you still talking about with the CM software?

When I switch back to DIRECT mode, I can assign a joystick hotkey combo in VoiceAttack without issue. But the second I switch to mapped mode, VoiceAttack doesn't recognize the button presses anymore.

If you can confirm this behaviour, that would be helpful.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 04:19:50 PM »
Did you remember to download the new map profile to the device after change the map settings?
I did; I also rebooted, after which it appeared to switch back to direct mode.

When you say "...had not trouble creating commands..." do you mean in VoiceAttack?
I do. After assigning "CH Control Manager Device 1" to "Joystick 2" and "CH Control Manager Device 2" to "Joystick 1"(I reversed them initially and didn't bother to rectify), I created a new command, checked "When I press button", and pressed the button, which was registered. The command also executes fine using buttons from either virtual device.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:57:37 PM by Pfeil »

JLX

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 04:36:16 PM »
...I did; I also rebooted, after which it appeared to switch back to direct mode.
This is normal behaviour. There is another utility the CMCC (Control Manager Control Center) which will let you set the startup mode and aid in loading/switching maps without having to start the Control Manager each time to do this. Yes, their naming scheme is less than clear...

I do. After assigning "CH Control Manager Device 1" to "Joystick 2" and "CH Control Manager Device 2" to "Joystick 1"...

ARG! This is what I forgot to do! I just tried to assign new buttons and incorrectly thought all devices would be monitored as I did this. Specifying joysticks is in a different dialog which I completely forgot about. So often it's the little things...

Anyway, thanks for engaging and mentioning that. It's obvious when you remember but not so obvious when you don't    ::) (Where is the forehead smack icon when you need it)

Cheers.

P.S. GARY ISSUE RESOLVED NO NEED FOR DIGGING.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:02:43 PM »
I do. After assigning "CH Control Manager Device 1" to "Joystick 2" and "CH Control Manager Device 2" to "Joystick 1"...

ARG! This is what I forgot to do!
That's what I meant with
Did you reassign the devices in the VoiceAttack Joystick Options after switching?
Though I will admit that the current joystick implementation could use some more feedback towards the user, so I made a relevant feature request.