Author Topic: profile location  (Read 3736 times)

ronpop

profile location
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:34 AM »
I have read the "help" on file location, but when I open the folder I see a backup folder and a bunch of pdf file (also in the backup folder).
I can't determine which file is which?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: profile location
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
Those are not PDF files (they are however set up to open in Adobe Acrobat on your machine, though that application won't be able to actually read them).

VoiceAttack.dat is your profile database, the files in the "Backup" folder are backup copies saved when you made changes to your profiles.

VoiceAttack does not use .vap files to store profiles internally, those are mainly intended for exchanging profiles between users.
If you want to make a backup copy of an individual profile as a .vap file, make it the active profile, click the icon on VoiceAttack's main window, choose "Export Profile", and follow the export procedure.
Note that profiles that you haven't created yourself may have exporting disabled.

ronpop

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
This what I have in my "backup folder".  I can't open any, nor can I id any file!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 11:58:31 PM »
What are you actually looking for? What is it you're trying to do?

As mentioned, VoiceAttack does not store profiles individually, they're all in one big database that isn't intended to be opened by external applications.

ronpop

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »
i wished to look at each profile by itself and edit which ones to keep or delete!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 08:18:59 AM »
As Pfeil has mentioned, the .dat files cannot be opened and read - they are custom database files that are meant to be read by VoiceAttack.  In order to see what profiles you have, you must open VoiceAttack and view each of them by selecting them from the drop-down list.  You can choose to delete the profiles you do not want by clicking the, 'More Profile Actions' button (to the right of the drop-down list).

Oss133

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
Is this also where the variable settings are stored when you save the value to profile?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
"Save value to profile" values are saved to the profile database, yes.

Oss133

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the speedy reply. So there is no way to see what values have been stored?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »
Not without retrieving each individual value first, no.

Oss133

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »
Ok. That's a shame. Thanks for your help. :)