Author Topic: Network Folders are not accesible  (Read 2731 times)

adam1972

Network Folders are not accesible
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »
I use network drives (on my NAS) to offload stuff from my SSD.  At the moment everything else was working perfectly.  I was creating a command to play some VLC m3u playlist that I have stored on my network folder along with my music.
When I go to assign the path to the "Application to run".. I am not allowed to access those drives, I used Symbolic Links (everything so far in windows accepts them so far) and they fail.  I have also mounted these shares to drive letters and they don't show as well. ???
Anyone have any idea what's going on?
I finally realized that I can get to the folders only of I explicitly issue the COMPLETE network path (ie \\networkshare\folder\folder\folder\etc..)

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Network Folders are not accesible
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Hi, Adam

VoiceAttack is using a standard .net file dialog, and as far as I can tell, symlinks are not not accessible in .net.  I'll keep my eye open to see if there is an easy solution, though.  Surprisingly, this is the first time this has come up in over ten years o_O

Sorry about that!

adam1972

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »
Thank you :)
Also network mounts.. They show up just fine as well outside of voiceattack, for example the share is mounted on my B:\ drive.. It only shows physical hard drives...
10 YEARS!! HOLY MOLY lol :P

Awesome piece of software by the way!! :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:18:47 PM by adam1972 »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »
Are you running VoiceAttack as administrator? If so, you won't see network shares mapped to drive letters, as that connection only exists in the non-elevated session.

Technically you can disable that security measure, though consider that it exists for a reason.

adam1972

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:18:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
THANK YOU!!!
Yea, I was directed to run it as admin for Elite Dangerous.