Author Topic: "phantom" keys  (Read 1945 times)

menacslude9

"phantom" keys
« on: July 31, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »
I don't know how to describe this, but I'll do my best.

Okay, so when I push the F1 key, the computer takes that as input F1.  Same goes for F2-F12, the alphabet keys, the number keys, shift, ctrl, and so on.  What I want to do is, for instance, say the voice command "Hyper kinesis module" and the computer take that as if I pushed the hyper kinesis module button, which doesn't exist obviously, but it's a button the computer recognizes just as easily as if I had pushed the F1 key for the F1 function.  Am I making sense?  And if so, how do I do it?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: "phantom" keys
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 08:30:05 AM »
You would just create a command with the spoken phase of, 'hyper kinesis mode', then add a key press action that presses the F1 key (making sure that the key is held down long enough (0.01 seconds is usually all it takes)).

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »
The Windows keyboard system is designed around physical keyboards, and the keycodes available are predetermined (as listed here).

If you're looking to create additional keyboard keys, so to speak, that is not something Windows is designed for.

If you're not doing so already, however, you could consider using the F13 to F24 keys, which are not physically present on the majority of modern keyboards, but some applications can still map functions to them (whether they can depends on how their keyboard controls are implemented internally).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:46:34 PM by Pfeil »

menacslude9

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »
you say Windows isn't designed for this.  Is there an operating system that is?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 05:58:32 PM »
There might be, or you could implement such a nonstandard feature in an open-source operating system, like Linux, but that would likely also require changes in applications that take keyboard input.

Generally if more input options are required than are available through normal physical input methods, custom/proprietary methods are used instead (for example, this is how "G" keys on gaming keyboards can be implemented; The keyboard system doesn't actually see those physical keypresses, only the manufacturer's software does), meaning there is no real universal standard that works for most applications, like keyboard and mouse do.