Author Topic: Possible to use mini-joystick with axes as a hat switch with 4 button positions?  (Read 951 times)

Cirrus

I feel like I read that you can do this somewhere previously but, can't find it again (or maybe I'm just delusional)  :)

I have a joystick that has a mini-stick on it with X and Y axes.  Is it possible to use VoiceAttack to recognize the mini-stick as a hat switch with 4 positions (up, down, left, right) and bind those positions as buttons?

Thanks for any feedback on this.  Cheers!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
If your joystick comes with software that allows you to map that mini-joystick in such a manner, that'd likely be the best option.

The DirectInput interface used for joysticks does not allow the manipulation of existing devices, so while manufacturers can use a custom driver that's specifically designed to circumvent that limitation, software like VoiceAttack cannot press buttons on your joystick.

If you're looking to trigger VoiceAttack commands (that send keypresses, for example), that could be done using a command that runs a loop checking the position of the axes of your mini-joystick, and performs a given action when the value exceeds a certain threshold.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:39:10 PM by Pfeil »

Cirrus

If you're looking to trigger VoiceAttack commands (that send keypresses, for example), that could be done using a command that runs a loop checking to axes of your mini-joystick, and performs a given action when the value exceeds a certain threshold.

That's exactly what I'm looking for!  I'll take a crack at trying to set that up.  Thank you so much for the guidance! 

Cheers.